Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 12346 ... LastLast

Thread: Why SpoDaddy got banned

1. Quote Originally Posted by Yoshi
    Where is Ken Star when you need him?
    Still wondering over a bottle of tequila why the hell he ever listened to Newt Gingrich.

2. Quote Originally Posted by SpoDaddy
    Perhaps we can set some rules of conduct so we're all clear on what kind of personal attacks are acceptable?

The rules are simple. If personal attacks are dissrupting discussion then mods should warn the person/people involved and ban them if it is sever enough or repeated. Sure, there are tons of examples were attacks have been made and nothing is done. That is because TNL is farely relaxed, and I would prefer it be that way even if it means some people are treated unfairly (in fact, the unfair but hilarious treatment of people is the best thing about TNL). If you have serious issues with what somebody says pm a mod and explain the situation. I'm sure they will handle it appropiately.

However, the prefered thing to do is ignore people and shut the fuck up. And have fun!
    your mom

3. MMan, one probably with having mods warn people is that some mods/admins here are the ones doing the insulting.
    matthewgood fan
    lupin III fan

Quote Originally Posted by Mman
    The rules are simple. If personal attacks are dissrupting discussion then mods should warn the person/people involved and ban them if it is sever enough or repeated. Sure, there are tons of examples were attacks have been made and nothing is done. That is because TNL is farely relaxed, and I would prefer it be that way even if it means some people are treated unfairly (in fact, the unfair but hilarious treatment of people is the best thing about TNL). If you have serious issues with what somebody says pm a mod and explain the situation. I'm sure they will handle it appropiately.

However, the prefered thing to do is ignore people and shut the fuck up. And have fun!
    Mman understands TNL.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeremy
    MMan, one probably with having mods warn people is that some mods/admins here are the ones doing the insulting.
    Your mom is doing the insulting.

5. Hey, I pm'ed Mman about something and we basically settled things. Sure people will have problems with one another, but if you PM the person before PM'ing the admin. Shit gets resolved ... if both parties are rational adults.

Sometimes I wonder about the last part.
    I can do all things through Christ, who strengthens me.

6. Quote Originally Posted by Jeremy
    MMan, one probably with having mods warn people is that some mods/admins here are the ones doing the insulting.
    Actually, I totally recant my previous statement. It is all true, but it is critically important for the stability of TNL that certain people remain clueless/retarded. Keep on keeping on TNL!

Quote Originally Posted by Advocate
    Hey, I pm'ed Mman about something and we basically settled things. Sure people will have problems with one another, but if you PM the person before PM'ing the admin. Shit gets resolved ... if both parties are rational adults.

Sometimes I wonder about the last part.
    Quote Originally Posted by advocate
    I tried my darnest to avoid this place.
    Please try harder.
    Please try harder.
    In PM

Bite me.
    I was serious. Its know its hard when you suck at everything, but maybe you could be successful at doing at least this one thing.
    And I was serious. I'm not going anywhere.
    Thats what I was worried about
    Yes, a fine example of rational, intelligent arguement and understanding right there.

PS - QUOTE EXPLOSION!
    Last edited by Mman; 15 May 2006 at 06:49 PM.
    your mom

Quote Originally Posted by SpoDaddy
    Perhaps we can set some rules of conduct so we're all clear on what kind of personal attacks are acceptable?
    If they're on you, they're acceptable. Clear enough?

8. Main Entry: 1ad ho·mi·nem
    Pronunciation: (')ad-'hä-m&-"nem, -n&m
    Function: adjective
    Etymology: New Latin, literally, to the person
    1 : appealing to feelings or prejudices rather than intellect
    2 : marked by an attack on an opponent's character rather than by an answer to the contentions made

Note the difference between ad hominem attacks and GD-appropriate remarks. It is appropriate to call out someone for, e.g., making vapid arguments or wasting bandwidth. It is not even necessarily inappropriate to use provocative language in the context of an on-topic remark or response to a post. It is not appropriate to call someone a "homo" or otherwise attack a member's gender, religion, ethnicity, etc. etc. in any non-VB thread.

Two corollaries:

1. This is not a zero-tolerance policy, it is a discretionary one. Exceptions can be made when epithets are exchanged in an irreverent context, so long as the exchanges do not derail discussion.

2. Board veterans are expected to have thicker skins than casual members. This applies double to members of the "10,000 posts" club. As tired as I am of seeing people make fun of Jeremy's vision problems, I'm not going to ban someone every time I see a joke at his expense.
    The spirit of liberty is the spirit which is not too sure it is always right. -Learned Hand

"Jesus christ you are still THE WORST." -FirstBlood

Quote Originally Posted by sleeveboy
    As tired as I am of seeing people make fun of Jeremy's vision problems, I'm not going to ban someone every time I see a joke at his expense.
    That's actually a zero tolerance I could get behind. I think I made a crack once and actually felt bad about it... now that's saying something.
    I cannot fathom worrying about my eyesight. Besides, Jeremy is such an easy target without going that far in the gutter.

Yoshi has 12 buttholes.