Thread: 64-bit encoding...php, xml, etc...

1. 64-bit encoding...php, xml, etc...

I know some of you are web designers, so help your 'ol buddy Zerodash out...

My latest project has me sending data (in the PHP language- parsing XML sucks) out in "Base-64 encoding". Perhaps this is a n00b problem I have, but I have no idea what the hell this is.

I had originally thought that that I would use UTF-8 encoding in my XML:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8" ?>

I can't test this yet (until next week), and have no idea if this is the right track. I know that XML supports UTF-8 and UTF-16, but have no idea if php has to use any built in 64-bit encoding I would need to use.

2. Never dealt with Base64 before, but this is what I found from reading the PHP manual.
    base64_encode() returns data encoded with base64. This encoding is designed to make binary data survive transport through transport layers that are not 8-bit clean, such as mail bodies.
    If your project requires you to encode your data in Base64 before sending it somewhere, then that's what base64_encode() does.

If you need more info on Base64, read the Wikipedia entry.
    R.I.P. Paragon Studios

3. Speaking of PHP what is a good resource to get some intermediate tips and shit for it? I have been working on this website software on-and-off since last January and I have continually rewritten things as I learn more. I originally meant it as a way to learn PHP to put on my resume, but I keep coming back to it and want to make it as good as possible. It's actually pretty cool, it has a weblog system that has a lot of the same stuff you'll see on LJ or anything, including comments, logging, an RSS feed and a RSS aggregator, picture upload & auto gallery (must have redone this 4 or 5 times), templates for other types of articles (currently focusing on this), a linkroll, categories and automatic archiving (by month/year) currently, etc. It's all done by me, too, aside from the RSS aggregator stuff.

But my knowledge is limited and its hard to find good info online - either its for total noobs (MySQL can be tied to PHP...) or super-advanced. Info that relates more to good principles, like what is good principles for connecting to databases (how many times per page or whatever), and shit like that.
    Last edited by diffusionx; 19 May 2006 at 11:49 AM.

4. Quote Originally Posted by diffusionx
    But my knowledge is limited and its hard to find good info online - either its for total noobs (MySQL can be tied to PHP...) or super-advanced. Info that relates more to good principles, like what is good principles for connecting to databases (how many times per page or whatever), and shit like that.
    One crucial element you should learn is PHP security since it's essential to prevent website attacks such as cross-site scripting, SQL injection, and session hijacking. Online info only gave me bits and pieces on security, so I purchased Pro PHP Security by Chris Snyder and Micahel Southwell. It's a good and informative read.
    R.I.P. Paragon Studios

5. All data that flows through forms and shit is validated, and Im not building a professional for-sale application so I'd really rather not spend money on it.

6. Josh and I used to work with a guy named Flip in SPI. He was very knowlegable in php, rss feeds, etc. He would definitely be able to point you in the right direction. His aim s/n is stego pain.
    Last edited by Hubbitron; 19 May 2006 at 03:11 PM.