Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: My gaming rig...

1. Quote Originally Posted by Genki
    @ Burky

Thanks for all the suggestions i switched to the San Diego, but whats the big difference between my sunbeam and the sparkle...besides the price? I'll get the ram a little later down the line cause i'm trying to keep the price down. (nobody tell my mom i'm about to drop a stack on a new pc )
    posting.
    Only reason I choose Sparkle is that I saw that exact one on a recommended PSU guide.
    Sunbeam I have only heard of with their cases, and to be frank I did not like their designs; they appeared as trying to be too trendy. I mean no offense to your choice, as long as it performs and keeps your rig cool, it's all good. From my assessment on their cases I would assume that they are not of the highest quality.
    For cases I would probably stick to something like Lian-li, Thermaltake or Antec.

As for the mom thing, it's the same for me lol. If they knew how much I buy and sell (~$900 this past week) they'd kill me.

Quote Originally Posted by raystorm
    Just a bit of a warning on that radeon..its big and some say its loud. I couldn't care less about the noise as I'll be too busy gaming with my speakers pumped up. The size is a concern..I think..probably not.
    QFT
    I just got my new x1900xtx today, and it runs way hotter than my 7800GTs ever did. The fan is not too noisy (certainly no more than nvidia) when running at default, which is like 30%. It runs hot as well; 61 degrees idle and higher with games with 30% fan.
    But while I was quickly playing round overclocking it, I pushed the fan to 100%, and I thought the card was going to fly out of the case it was so loud.
    The temperatures dropped though, so maybe a happy medium could be found.

2. sorry if this is too noobish but how do i keep track of my pc temp and how do i know whats hot or not?
    Quote Originally Posted by Master Shake
    Look, Yes. I have banged hundreds of broads...internationally. But know this, I wrap my rascal 2 times. 'Cause I like it to be joyless and without sensation, as a way of punishing super-models.

3. Quote Originally Posted by Genki
    sorry if this is too noobish but how do i keep track of my pc temp and how do i know whats hot or not?
    You should be able to see the temps in your bios. You could also use Speedfan. Its a free utility that uses your motherboards temp monitors. Not sure of the accuracy but it should be accurate enough.

4. I wouldn't use your BIOS, as usually you want to know the temperature under stress, not just when you're booting.

Hot varies for different components:
    All A64 processors ought to be 30-35 degrees idle, and 50-55 under stress.
    Video cards should be under 70 degrees I think, though I just asked someone if my new ATI card was running too hot at 75 degrees, and I was told that was ok.
    Ram no one cares about, but there will be no problem unless you are into over-volting it, etc
    Motherboard's chipset varies. My one is recommended to keep under 55 degrees, but it varies according to the brand. Mine also has shit cooling (DFI), whereas Asus are superior so I hear.
    Hard disks I'm not sure, but my two SATA disks stay under 50 degrees, and so far nothing is dead yet.

But unless you're overclocking (ie overvolting - high temps and high volts kill parts) I wouldn't worry too much about the temperatures, but still it is good to try and stay as low as is reasonably possible.
    If you have good airflow and ambient temperature you will have no problem at all.

I find ITE Smartguardian superior in the way that you can control the chipset and cpu fans, but Speedfan is useful as it will plot graphs for you, which is important since you can't check your temperatures while gaming, so you can just look at the graph and find the peak.

5. Quote Originally Posted by Burky
    I wouldn't use your BIOS, as usually you want to know the temperature under stress, not just when you're booting.

Hot varies for different components:
    All A64 processors ought to be 30-35 degrees idle, and 50-55 under stress.
    Video cards should be under 70 degrees I think, though I just asked someone if my new ATI card was running too hot at 75 degrees, and I was told that was ok.
    Ram no one cares about, but there will be no problem unless you are into over-volting it, etc
    Motherboard's chipset varies. My one is recommended to keep under 55 degrees, but it varies according to the brand. Mine also has shit cooling (DFI), whereas Asus are superior so I hear.
    Hard disks I'm not sure, but my two SATA disks stay under 50 degrees, and so far nothing is dead yet.

But unless you're overclocking (ie overvolting - high temps and high volts kill parts) I wouldn't worry too much about the temperatures, but still it is good to try and stay as low as is reasonably possible.
    If you have good airflow and ambient temperature you will have no problem at all.

I find ITE Smartguardian superior in the way that you can control the chipset and cpu fans, but Speedfan is useful as it will plot graphs for you, which is important since you can't check your temperatures while gaming, so you can just look at the graph and find the peak.
    Definitely not a sausage-in-training. Thanks again for all the info guys.
    Quote Originally Posted by Master Shake
    Look, Yes. I have banged hundreds of broads...internationally. But know this, I wrap my rascal 2 times. 'Cause I like it to be joyless and without sensation, as a way of punishing super-models.