Thread: Video card fan not working

1. Video card fan not working

HAY GUYS.

I'm not smart about this, but my year old ATI 9800 Radeon Pro fan just stopped working a couple days ago. I got it to work again yesterday randomly by doing nothing but taking it out and putting it in, but now it's not working again. What's going on? It's the stock ATI fan, btw.

(I don't know shit about fans.)

"I can only say that there is not a man living who wishes more sincerely than I do to see a plan adopted for the abolition of slavery." - Tommy Tallarico

2. replace it with an arctic cooler.
    http://www.svc.com/avc-at1.html
    n00b

3. I hear these Zalman ones are also good:
    $30: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16835118117
    $45: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16835118001
    They cost a bit more, but they come with a full kit including thermal paste, and a few other accessories

4. I got the Arctic Cooler Dyne posted. I saw it recommended in a few other places as well.

I looked into Zalman passive cooling systems, but it's just too high-class for my poor shit. I am running a Radeon 9800 after all.

"I can only say that there is not a man living who wishes more sincerely than I do to see a plan adopted for the abolition of slavery." - Tommy Tallarico

5. I've never changed a video card fan, but I imagine that you need thermal paste.
    Make sure that it either comes with it or you order some.

6. Just letting everyone know that the Arctic Cooler ATI Silencer is divine. Doesn't make a noise and it's fucking huge. It blows so much air it takes up a PCI slot and has its own rear exhaust. It comes with thermal paste already on it, so I'd imagine if you fuck it up somehow, you would need your own tube to reapply it.

Recommended.

And I'm definitely not cheaping out on my future video cards by being too lazy to put on a non-stock fan/heatsink. It's worth it to do it from the start.

7. I just bought the Zalman VF700-Cu.
    Amazing. My load temps dropped 10 degrees, and my idle temps dropped about 20. This was on my x1900xtx; the stock fan really sucked on it.
    And it's near silent.

8. Quote Originally Posted by omfgninjas in iraq
    Just letting everyone know that the Arctic Cooler ATI Silencer is divine. Doesn't make a noise and it's fucking huge. It blows so much air it takes up a PCI slot and has its own rear exhaust. It comes with thermal paste already on it, so I'd imagine if you fuck it up somehow, you would need your own tube to reapply it.

Recommended.

And I'm definitely not cheaping out on my future video cards by being too lazy to put on a non-stock fan/heatsink. It's worth it to do it from the start.
    its alright to thank me.

seriously though i had one on my 6800 ultra but had to remove it when i went to the SFF case. i miss it.

glad to hear you got it up and running (its pretty no-brainer) but if you plan to overclock, putting some arctic silver on that bitch would do wonders.

9. Will any of those work on a Saphire Radeon 9600 Pro 256?
    My friend has one, and his fan seized up a few weeks ago.
    I replaced it with another stock fan, but now he wants to overclock his card to get another year or so of use out of it.

Normally, I'd recommend getting a better card, but there's no point buying another AGP card at this point.

10. check svc. each one fits different cards.