Page 4 of 14 FirstFirst ... 234568 ... LastLast

Thread: Sega Master System

1. Quote Originally Posted by raystorm
    Y's: Vanished Omens - yep..nowhere near as good as the originals but it was the first Y's I've ever played and I think its the first english Y's in the US
    Not as good as the PCE Ys Book I & II, no, but you're right that it was the only other version of I released here in English. That, and I personally found it to be far more playable than the Famicom version was. Definitely not bad.

As always, great stuff. I just wish it was easier to find SMS games without resorting to eBay. A pawn shop near here and some flea markets are the only place I can ever find SMS stuff. Through some odd circumstances I came into both the original model hardware and the second, 2 controllers and a gun, but no games. I later found Penguin Land and Shinobi, and I played the former to death, but Shinobi barely got touched. I think I might set it up tonight and give it another shot.

2. I remember my friend had an SMS, and I talked him into getting rid of it and getting an NES, even though he loved his Master System. Then I got a Master System, and ended up loving it. Whoops.

Phantasy Star was the game that made me love games with deep storylines and characters and whatnot - it absolutely blew my mind how expansive and complex it was back at that point. I also remember playing Miracle Warriors with a friend, and that was another game that just felt so huge and unbelievable at the time. Also really loved Golvelius and the Zillion games.

Yeah, the SMS kicked the crap out of the NES a lot of the time when it came to multi-console games. SMS Rampage was so, so much better. NES Double Dragon was interesting, but the SMS version was the actual arcade game, and two players, which was huge.

Missile Defense 3D was another game I loved. The SMS 3D glasses were just crazy, and worked so well. Of course, like the VirtuaBoy, they gave you one hell of a headache if you played too long. Still, that is probably to this day one of my favorite light gun games.

I also remember going nuts when I found out that there was a hidden game built into the SMS. *heh* I was so sure at first that it was Phantasy Star 2.
    WARNING: This post may contain violent and disturbing images.

3. I want to quote NeoZeedeater's entire post for truth. Listen to this man!

Especially the part about Wonderboy 3 being the best 8 bit game, and the lightgun games aging really well.
    Last edited by Frogacuda; 01 Jun 2006 at 09:26 PM.

4. SMS supports composite and RGB.
    It has the same AV port as the original Genesis.

A friend of mine had one when they first came out, and we played the hell out of it.
    He used to write letters to Sega asking questions about how to beat certain games, and they actually replied! They sent him some form letters and printouts of tip sheets for the games he owned.

I actually owned a Power Base Convertor to play SMS games on my Genesis, but I traded that for the Sega Base System (SMS without built-in Hang-On and Safari Hunt), and then later bought the Master-Gear Convertor from a friend so I could play SMS games on my Game Gear. It's funny to me now that I had all that crap, because Vigilante was the only SMS game I actually owned. Everything else I played was borrowed or rented.

5. I was a Master System kid. I made a huge Zillion map for the game. It was rad.

6. I am the only person, ever, who vastly prefers the SMS version of Castle of Illusion to the Genesis version.

7. Where's the love for Columns? Hah. It wasn't nearly as good as the Genesis Columns, but not a bad console beginning for my favorite puzzle game.

8. SMS. How I miss thee.

Miracle Warriors - An rpg in the vein of Phantasy Star. I personally liked it and would love to pick it up again.
    I can do all things through Christ, who strengthens me.

9. Thanks to CRV for clarifying WB III's composer and double thanks to NeoZ for the link to the old EGM scan. Mari-OH. haha Great stuff, his face looks just like Mario's SMB 3 sprite.

10. Quote Originally Posted by Blaster
    And I'll also recommend Rambo: First Blood Part 2 for fans of overhead Ikari Warriors type games.
    How do you beat that game? I got to the big, armed wall at the end of the last stage and couldn't figure out what to do.

Quote Originally Posted by NeoZeedEater
    Sonic did originate on Genesis although the first SMS game came out later that same year(1991). Only the first SMS Sonic was released in North America though as the system was discontinued here after that.
    An interesting note is that although Sonic got his start on the Genesis, the Game Gear has more Sonic titles than any other console.

Quote Originally Posted by Nei
    Great thread. I think The Ninja deserves a mention. I love that game.
    Fuck, I could never find the last two scrolls in that game to save the princess.

Quote Originally Posted by Shidoshi
    Missile Defense 3D was another game I loved. The SMS 3D glasses were just crazy, and worked so well. Of course, like the VirtuaBoy, they gave you one hell of a headache if you played too long. Still, that is probably to this day one of my favorite light gun games.
    I always got a sever pain in the bridge of my nose when I had them on too long. The effect was amazing though, especially in Maze Hunter and Missile Defense. Mike Cerny was ahead of his time when he made those glasses.
    Last edited by Melf; 02 Jun 2006 at 12:28 AM.