Page 9 of 14 FirstFirst ... 5789101113 ... LastLast

Thread: Sega Master System

1. Ghost House was probably my favorite SMS game. Years later I had the model 2 SMS but I don't remember it having a card slot, or a slot for the 3D glasses. It did have a sweet cartridge slot cover type thing that slid over the slot when no game was inserted.

Ghost House was kinda Metroidish iirc.

I also loved Astro Warrior and Ghostbusters.

2. Ghost House was a great damned game. I wouldn't compare it to Metroid in the slightest. Frankly I wouldn't compare it to anything really. It was pretty unique. It was all about learning the little tricks and secrets of the house. It's sadly ignored because it really takes time to understand. I never could beat level 6 of that damned thing.

3. I thought I remembered it being one of those games where you can move freely about the house, hence why I called it "Metroidish".

But my memory has obviously failed me.

4. Quote Originally Posted by Korly
    I thought I remembered it being one of those games where you can move freely about the house, hence why I called it "Metroidish".
    Well you could, but the house was small, and you could access the whole thing from the get-go. And of course it was level based.

5. Quote Originally Posted by Frogacuda
    It's not like Shinobi much at all, really. No projectiles, not much arcade feel. More focus on exploration, playing the levels in different orders.
    You can play the levels in different orders...?

6. Ghost house had projectiles IIRC. I seem to remember jumping on top of arrows.

It was also one of my favorite games. That's one kind of game I'd like to see on VC / XLBLA.
    No gnus is good gnus.

7. Quote Originally Posted by Brisco Bold
    You can play the levels in different orders...?
    Yeah. It's like a board game progression, almost. You move to adjacent "provinces" on the map, so you can take a lot of paths, backtrack to old levels, etc. You also earn new moves from beating different bosses, which in turn can be advantageous against other bosses/levels. There's also items to regenerate health, extend the life bar, etc. There's a good bit of strategy to the game.

Quote Originally Posted by RoleTroll
    Ghost house had projectiles IIRC. I seem to remember jumping on top of arrows.

It was also one of my favorite games. That's one kind of game I'd like to see on VC / XLBLA.
    I said Kenseiden didn't have projectiles. But Ghost House doesn't either, really. There's knives and arrows that fly at you from off screen, but nothing the player can use.

8. Quote Originally Posted by Frogacuda
    Yeah. It's like a board game progression, almost. You move to adjacent "provinces" on the map, so you can take a lot of paths, backtrack to old levels, etc. You also earn new moves from beating different bosses, which in turn can be advantageous against other bosses/levels. There's also items to regenerate health, extend the life bar, etc. There's a good bit of strategy to the game.
    Holy crap.

Quote Originally Posted by Brisco Bold
    Next on my list: Master of Darkness.

Though, I think that one will be harder to find.
    It's a European release for SMS(the Game Gear version did come out here) so you will likely need to look online. It's not rare over there.

10. Quote Originally Posted by Kraftwerks
    I've also come across systems with missle defense 3D built in.
    Yep, someone found me a SMS at a landfill, sitting in a box on top of a pile of stuff. It was the older style system and had Missle Defense 3D built in.

It also came with the glasses, but the little adapter piece was missing for it.
    “The very existence of flame-throwers proves that some time, somewhere, someone said to themselves, you know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done.” -George Carlin