Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 123457 ... LastLast

Thread: Sega Master System

1. While more people should play the SMS, I'd say the light gun genre was the only genre that the SMS was consistently victorious over the NES. Rescue Mission was the best home gun game released for years and years.

2. Quote Originally Posted by Blaster
    Also, I always get confused with that Golden Axe Warrior game....wasn't there a single player Golden Axe port developed for the SMS where you could play only as the Warrior character? But other than that it was a straight port of Golden Axe?
    Yes

3. Quote Originally Posted by Blaster
    wasn't there a single player Golden Axe port developed for the SMS where you could play only as the Warrior character? But other than that it was a straight port of Golden Axe?

Yea, you where Ax Battler and you chose which magic you wanted at the start of the game. ok port I guess but everyone sorta teleported around the screen instead of moving smoothly. That was sorta the case with the SMS Altered Beast port as well.

4. I had absolutely no idea that there were Sonic games made on the SMS. I'm assuming the Genesis versions came first though?

And from these screenshots it looks like some of the graphics were quite a bit superior to the NES. Is that true or am I just imagining things?

This has certainly piqued my interest. Anyone know of any place to get ROMs for the thing?

5. Quote Originally Posted by jonas
    I don't remember Double Dragon looking like that at all...
    It looks VERY different than the NES incarnation, almost like a different game. Its worth checking out.

6. Nice thread, NZE.

Rastan was a really good version of the game for its time. Unfortunately the control seems a tad off, and it bites that you have just ONE life- you don't die from falling into pits right away, but a boss can snuff you out in a New York minute without you having another shot at him.

Out Run is as good as it can get on 8-bit. In comparison, the Amiga and Atari ST versions look and play like complete filth. It's one of the SMS' best overall.

Shinobi is well done, but I'd have preferred for it to be a 4 Mega cart so all the BGM could have been brought over.

Rambo: First Blood Part II rocked. It beats the NES Ikari Warriors and is the next best thing to the arcade IW.

Shanghai wasn't bad then, but now you can find far better versions of it with more layouts.

Zillion 2 Tri Formation didn't try to be what the first one was, but I loved it. Seeing the Light Phaser reference in the first Zillion made me want this franchise to get a light gun title as well.

Marble Madness looks as good as the Amiga one and isn't really that far off from the arcade given the SMS' limits. It came out rather late (1992), so I don't know if it would support the Sports Pad outside of joystick emulation mode. The Game Gear version isn't bad either.

SMS kicks the living daylights out of the NES/Famicom on a lot of cross-platform titles (especially Rampage, Choplifter (Jaleco's Famicom version based on the arcade), Space Harrier, Gauntlet, Pac-Mania etc.). It's a shame this system's library was choked off by the Big N. I would've liked to see SMS versions of some arcade games that were brought to NES only.

7. Great thread. I think The Ninja deserves a mention. I love that game.

Thanks, everyone.

Quote Originally Posted by raystorm
    Also, how can you not mention that hidden snail maze game?!
    That damn drum beat. I did play through all 12 levels a bunch of times. It was neat for a hidden game.

Quote Originally Posted by Dylan1CC
    Mario spoof level in Alex Kidd Shinobi? Where can I see pics

of that?
    There's an old EGM scan of it here -
    http://www.smspower.org/forums/viewt...7898&view=next

Quote Originally Posted by CRV
    The Cyber Shinobi
    People hate it, I like it
    I really hate it. I even like that GBA Revenge of Shinobi bastardization more.

Quote Originally Posted by Salsashark
    People should offend Neozeed more often if this is what happens. A thread like this has been long overdue
    I don't get offended, just a little disappointed. I feel like I have some stupid duty to gaming to help the quality underdogs for some reason. It usually happens with pre-NES gaming, old-school Sega, NEC consoles, imports, and computer gaming.

Quote Originally Posted by Kraftwerks
    I was one of three kids in my town that had a Master System

instead of Nintendo
    My neighborhood had quite a few SMS owners and a couple places that rented

games for it so I managed to play nearly every NA release back then. I guess I was lucky. My family was poor but I somehow ended up with both consoles and made many trades with people.

Quote Originally Posted by TaekwondoNJ
    I had absolutely no idea that there were Sonic games made on the SMS. I'm assuming the Genesis versions came first though?
    Sonic did originate on Genesis although the first SMS game came out later that same year(1991). Only the first SMS Sonic was released in North America though as the system was discontinued here after that.

And from these screenshots it looks like some of the graphics were
    quite a bit superior to the NES. Is that true or am I just imagining things?
    The pictures are from emulators so they're extra sharp but yeah it was later hardware and graphically superior to the NES, especially in color. The NES had slightly more advanced audio, not counting the Japanese SMS FM sound upgrade.
    Last edited by NeoZeedeater; 01 Jun 2006 at 08:35 PM.

9. I've always dismissed the Master System for the reasons already mentioned. But there are a ton of games I've never even heard of and now wanna try. I'm making a wish list. Thanks NeoZ!

Edit: I always loved Shinobi and Wonderboy.

10. Quote Originally Posted by Nei
    Great thread. I think The Ninja deserves a mention. I love that game.
    Yes, that games was hard as hell.

Great thread as usual Neo. I was also one of those kids that got a SMS instead of a NES...which only sucked cause no one else at school had it...but cool for that same reason. Now I want to own another one...but only if I can get one that can do composite video out. Is that even possible?