Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: The art of Novel Bandit

1. The art of Novel Bandit

Some of you may remember Novel Bandit, my little brother. He started the thread about "sucking at real life, but ruling at Halo." Well despite his repeated refusal, he's pretty damn good at drawing. What I'm posting now is the first pencil to scan to photoshop coloring he's attempting, and he could use a little feedback.

He hasn't touched the weapon yet, and unfortunately my image hosting account resizes images that are too big, but you get the picture.

2. I see some serious potential. Post more yo.

3. Some of the muscles (legs especially) look jaged and wrinkly -- like this person used to be massively obese but recently had lipo. Really nice drapage of the clothes and texture work (hair looks a little too much like the ribbon, though). The face could use a little more refinement, too.

Pretty good start, though.
    Quote Originally Posted by rezo
    Once, a gang of fat girls threatened to beat me up for not cottoning to their advances. As they explained it to me: "guys can usually beat up girls, but we are all fat, and there are a lot of us."

4. I like the pose,and the weapon too.
    "Allways outnumbered,never outgunned"

5. Man, I feel like a ghost coming back to haunt the place.

At any rate, I want to thank my brother for helping me out, and I also wanna clarify a few things.

First, about the muscles, they aren't human, nor are they intended to be. She's sorta half human, so her anatomy resembles ours, but the muscular structure, eyes, ears, what have you are slightly different.

Second, the weapon ain't just a sword-thing, it's a spring-loaded bow that she can defend herself with by snapping it back and making it a sword-thing. I had drawn the string that was cut when it snapped, but it got kinda lost in the scan.

Finally, the hair isn't highlighted yet, neither here nor in the version Trial is posting later, mainly because I'm having some trouble making it look good. I kinda just started up Photoshop a week ago and have had little time to do so, thus the problem has largely been avoided so that I can do the rest. I would appreciate some advice, though.

Well, that was long-winded.
    Go for broke.

6. Quote Originally Posted by Novel Bandit
    First, about the muscles, they aren't human, nor are they intended to be. She's sorta half human, so her anatomy resembles ours, but the muscular structure, eyes, ears, what have you are slightly different.
    If you wanna go that route then you're going to have to vary more than what you have here if you expect people to make that connection. It's only common sense to assume that a character that has an implicitly human structure in nearly every aspect, as this one does, should have human-looking legs as well.

But even if it were more alien, the concave "reverse-muscle" form you used goes against basic anatomical law and thus would probably look "off" regardless.
    Last edited by Bacon McShig; 04 Jun 2006 at 11:06 PM.

7. Updated color job, also made it more apparent that the thing she has is a tail, not some sorta rope.

8. Here's another picture, tried especially hard on the weapon:

Again, apologies for the small image sizes, can't get them to display properly.

So can TNL you fucking noobs.