Page 1 of 31 123515 ... LastLast

Thread: Official 2006 World Cup Thread

Official 2006 World Cup Thread

ESPN's Soccer Net has a great preview of the World Cup. I typically cannot get into watching soccer, so I save up what I have for four years and only watch when it matters. I played indoor and outdoor soccer for 11 years growing up and was on state travel teams, so I appreciate the skill and especially the endurance the game requires. I only wish it translated better to television.

At any rate, the fact that every game the US wins will upset about 3 billion people makes this a great opportunity. Maybe we can shatter Zarqawi and some soccer dreams of irrelevent countries in the same week.

USA USA USA

2. Quote Originally Posted by Yoshi
    I only wish it translated better to television.
    I'm not going to come in this thread and bash soccer. I realize it is the most watched sport in the world...but I just can't get into it. It's incredibly boring to watch. That said, I hope the USA does well.

3. soccer is even worse than hockey.

Just how did this shitty sport get to be the most popular in the world? English imperialism I'd wager.

You really shouldn't watch then diff. Maybe you should play a basketball sim instead:

5. Quote Originally Posted by diffusionx
    soccer is even worse than hockey.

Just how did this shitty sport get to be the most popular in the world? English imperialism I'd wager.
    That explains countries in africa. But soccer is a recent succes in countires like japan, and mexico and many carribian countries who's former favorite sport was baseball.

South America has no english colnies.

but whatever

go mexico..

Hi, INS, here is maruchan's IP address.

7. Soccer is terrible, BUT I agree with Yoshi. USA winning pisses off the world. Seeing as they know US public doesn't give a rats ass about the sport. Plus our current global situations.

And the only other sport that does not translate well onto TV is Hockey ... THOUGH iwth the onset of HD ... the sport is more watchable. Seeing as how you can see a play develop more smoothly and the puck is a little bit beter to see.
    I can do all things through Christ, who strengthens me.

8. It's already off to a great start with Germany and Costa Rica.

Soccer, much like hockey, is absolutely fantastic when it truly matters (only the Super Bowl bests playoff hockey).

9. Quote Originally Posted by Geohound
    It's already off to a great start with Germany and Costa Rica.

Soccer, much like hockey, is absolutely fantastic when it truly matters (only the Super Bowl bests playoff hockey).
    You sure about that? NFL playoffs I think are better than the SB. The SB is basically paid advertising with a mixture of an actual game.
    I can do all things through Christ, who strengthens me.

10. Quote Originally Posted by Advocate
    You sure about that? NFL playoffs I think are better than the SB. The SB is basically paid advertising with a mixture of an actual game.
    Right. The Super Bowl, like virtually all things NFL-related in this country, is put on a pedestal it doesn't deserve.