Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 16:9 vs 16:10 Widescreen...

1. Question 16:9 vs 16:10 Widescreen...

I was running a 16:9 video on my widescreen laptop(hoping it would fill the entire screen), and noticed that the video has thin bars on top and bottom of the screen, which made me think, are widescreen laptops 16:9? why wouldnt it fill the entire screen like on my HDTV? then i fired up Half Life 2 and noticed that the game supports 16:10 aspect ration....and i was like WTF?. I did a search on 16:10 and i found out that practically every widescreen laptop is actually 16:10 and not 16:9(16:9 is a bit wider than 16:10). it's hard to tell the difference unless you check the resolution both support. for example, 1900x1200 is 16:10(PC monitors) and 1920x1080 is 16:9(TVs)

Now i was wondering why PCs/Laptops have a different aspect ratio than TVs/Plasmas/LCD TVs? to make things even more confusing, i noticed that widescreen LCD monitors come in 16:9 and 16:10 .....what's up with that? why all the confussion, and which one would be the standard on PCs?(i'm guessing 16:10)

please discuss!

(note: this reminds me of 1.85:1 widescreen and 2.35:1 theater widescreen....anyways that's a different topic all together, but you know what i mean)
    Last edited by marwan; 13 Jun 2006 at 10:58 AM.

2. viewed by 28 members, and not a single relply? come on guys, you can do it!

3. if we had to google everything, then we won't have any discussions on this board.

We would still discuss Mortal Kombat.

5. shutup Josh!

6. Quote Originally Posted by marwan
    if we had to google everything, then we won't have any discussions on this board.
    There's a difference between discussing viewpoints and ideas and asking inane, easily answerable questions that annoy everyone. Needless to say, you are more comfortable with the latter.

7. This is news to me, though there is software out there that can change whatever video file u want to but time consuming especially if its a movie or something.

8. Quote Originally Posted by diffusionx
    There's a difference between discussing viewpoints and ideas and asking inane, easily answerable questions that annoy everyone. Needless to say, you are more comfortable with the latter.
    I'm not looking for answers cuz i know what the answers are, instead a little discussion won't hurt.

Quote Originally Posted by Manic Miner
    This is news to me, though there is software out there that can change whatever video file u want to but time consuming especially if its a movie or something.

what do you mean change the video file? they're both different aspect ratios, if a 16:9 movie ran on a 16:10 screen it would look vertically stretched.

9. Quote Originally Posted by marwan
    what do you mean change the video file? they're both different aspect ratios, if a 16:9 movie ran on a 16:10 screen it would look vertically stretched.
    I mean software which will change the resolution of the video file to whatever u want.
    Ive had a few commercials which needed to be changed and i had our multimedia developer do that at work...

I can inquire what the program he used is.