Thread: How to Hire a computer geek?

1. How to Hire a computer geek?

So, my workload has been waaaaay too big so my boss/partner and I decided to build a staff of computer geeks to help. I have run several ads in the paper and internet and still have no luck. Even postings at college career services and common areas have done nothing (not even a phone call).

Why is it so hard to find entry-level web designers/computer geeks? Where do they look for jobs at?

I know some of you are computer guys, so give me a pointer or two.

2. post the ad at craig's list

if there's something specific you want done go to www.rentacoder.com. My roomie was a TA in school and busted a group of kids using that site.

3. Did you try Monster? Also, I found this link on Google with the search term "amateur web designer". Good luck with the search.

4. the job probably doesnt pay enough

5. Hehe. Time to ring up Mexico.

6. Quote Originally Posted by Zerodash
    So, my workload has been waaaaay too big so my boss/partner and I decided to build a staff of computer geeks to help. I have run several ads in the paper and internet and still have no luck. Even postings at college career services and common areas have done nothing (not even a phone call).

Why is it so hard to find entry-level web designers/computer geeks? Where do they look for jobs at?
    Stormy pretty much nailed it -- hit craigslist, hit monster, whatever.

Of course my problem (as someone trying to find a job) is that submitting resumes to applications on those sites feels like I am throwing e-mails down a black hole. The funny thing is I have seen several ads for work locally (probably from people in your situtation) and none of them have even feigned interest when I called up/sent paperwork... but they keep running the ads. It honestly feels like people are just fishing for personal information.

(How much would the position be for? :x)

-Dippy

7. Quote Originally Posted by Zerodash

I know some of you are computer guys, so give me a pointer or two.
    I found my company through word of mouth. A friend of a friend of a friend. I didn't even bother with classifieds, because there just wasn't any need for my services at most businesses here, I basically had to start my own business. But if you're serious about hiring, change the word from geek to nerd. Nerd is always preferred, even above Dork.

8. I don't see what's so hard about using regular words with the job title. "Web designer/tech support/computer technician/whatever needed." I wouldn't want to work somewhere and be referred to as a geek, nerd or dork.