Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Stadium Events NES

And it's portnoyd. I will never understand why people collect bad games. I'm a stickler for complete and mint copies of games I want to play. I will never buy a game just to have that playing is not my first motivation. And I don't mean popping in once to say you played it.

2. Quote Originally Posted by D_N_G View Post
    In a little over a year, NES collecting has exploded in popularity and items have skyrocketed in value. Daily Im personally amazed at the sudden increases.
    I am too. Been meaning to find you on IRC or send you a PM so I can bitch about it. Not having the Bubble Bobble 2 box and manual or Bonk Manual is really very D: right now. The problem is essentially, NintendoAge.com. A few of the senior members have either extremely deep pockets, constantly egg on prices with no real basis ("Worth $100? No way, that's worth at least $200!") or both.

They also don't know a really rare piece when they see it. One guy DNG and I know owns about 20 original NES box art (i.e. handpainted masters for box art, including RCR, Double Dragon and Karnov). He threw a line out there to see what people would offer and they offered $100-$200, yet they will pay $500 for the BOX for the variant Athletic World. Or how a sealed Trolls on Treasure Island sealed (INSANELY rare) only went for $260, yet a loose copy of Flintstones 2, which there is always one copy up at all times, goes for the same price. I was dumbfounded when my bid of $212 almost won that.

It's insane.

An SE Cart only has increased to an average sale of 1400 this year in the few sales that have arisen. Thats up from 800 last year

Also this year we have the following auction:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Mint-Nintendo-NE...QQcmdZViewItem

This is only the 2nd complete copy on the market in 4 years, Its at 4k now but will probably end much higher, especially being offered around xmas season and having many new collectors that need only this single game for a complete set
    To put this in perspective, someone on NintendoAge offered me $1500 for my SE manual and $3500 for my SE box. I am not joking!

Cool Fact: There is one other board member board here at TNL (besides myself) that owns a complete NTSC copy like the one in the auction.
    Cooler fact: If not for the other CIB SE TNL member, the one referenced above would not be the other CIB holder on TNL. My SE box was actually DNG's old one and I remember him calling me when someone sold a SE manual on Digital Press.

Quote Originally Posted by Yoshi View Post
    And it's portnoyd. I will never understand why people collect bad games. I'm a stickler for complete and mint copies of games I want to play. I will never buy a game just to have that playing is not my first motivation. And I don't mean popping in once to say you played it.
    It takes a certain level of OCD, let me tell you. If it's any consolation, I have played Stadium Events. But I was drunk. Which doesn't help my point.

3. Quote Originally Posted by Yoshi View Post
    at one point in my life it was an OCD "collect them all" type thing. I loved NES with a passion. wont give you my life story, but lets just say that NES really had a major influence on me personally. I did branch out into collecting other systems as well and have amassed thousands of titles, but NES was my first priority

after the kids came along, the collecting mentality all changed, and for the past 6 years I only buy stuff that I play. And really only newer releases from within the past few years on newer systems unless its an insanely crazy deal that i can make $ off of.

Retrogaming at one point it was fun to go and hunt for games, you could easily find titles for a few dollars or less. When you could literally complete a US NES collection for under 1k, minus the 10 rarest titles, it was an inexpensive yet satisfying hobby. You could find games most any place you went, and it was an adrenaline rush when you picked up that rare title for 2 bucks that was fetching 50 on auction

I actually played every NES title I found, and I think that is the best part of Video Game Collecting as a hobby. Most collecting hobbies, people seal away or have limited use for the things they are collecting. Games you can take them out and pop them in at anytime to enjoy them.

Losing the time to enjoy these things is really why It stopped for me. Once in awhile, I do get an urge deep inside to go finish of the lists of things I was looking for, but with the prices nowadays I just cant justify it. Also the caches of games that could once be easily found are now completely dried up due to increased competition and the physical age of the items make them no longer in demand by the general public, so retailers have dropped them from inventory.

Anyways, lets just say that the small investments I made in 1996-2002, have outperformed my 401k and stock portfolio 10+ fold. If I would have known that was going to happen, id be living in a house built out of game carts now, lol
    Last edited by D_N_G; 01 Dec 2007 at 10:59 AM.

4. Quote Originally Posted by D_N_G View Post
    at one point in my life it was an OCD "collect them all" type thing. I loved NES with a passion. wont give you my life story, but lets just say that NES really had a major influence on me personally. I did branch out into collecting other systems as well and have amassed thousands of titles, but NES was my first priority

after the kids came along, the collecting mentality all changed, and for the past 6 years I only buy stuff that I play. And really only newer releases from within the past few years on newer systems unless its an insanely crazy deal that i can make $ off of.

Retrogaming at one point it was fun to go and hunt for games, you could easily find titles for a few dollars or less. When you could literally complete a US NES collection for under 1k, minus the 10 rarest titles, it was an inexpensive yet satisfying hobby. You could find games most any place you went, and it was an adrenaline rush when you picked up that rare title for 2 bucks that was fetching 50 on auction

I actually played every NES title I found, and I think that is the best part of Video Game Collecting as a hobby. Most collecting hobbies, people seal away or have limited use for the things they are collecting. Games you can take them out and pop them in at anytime to enjoy them.

Losing the time to enjoy these things is really why It stopped for me. Once in awhile, I do get an urge deep inside to go finish of the lists of things I was looking for, but with the prices nowadays I just cant justify it. Also the caches of games that could once be easily found are now completely dried up due to increased competition and the physical age of the items make them no longer in demand by the general public, so retailers have dropped them from inventory.

Anyways, lets just say that the small investments I made in 1996-2002, have outperformed my 401k and stock portfolio 10+ fold. If I would have known that was going to happen, id be living in a house built out of game carts now, lol
    I agree with you on the point regarding that games are inherently a more interactive medium than other collecting hobbies but for the time and effort spent, there are better ways to make more money if that's the end goal.

I have no regrets with selling my original collection and there never was a goal to make a ton of money off it rather it was a childhood dream to amass a bunch of stuff I could never get attain as a kid but I was fortunate enough to make quite a bit out of it (more than anyone else I've run across). In my new collection, I just get games that I want to play or are nostalgic pieces but I do make sure they are in top shape which is challenging for some of the Famicom titles. But, I must say that's the gap between the US and Japan, it's much easier to find complete mint rarer titles here than the NES equivalents and it won't cost you anywhere near SE. People in the US need to start taking care of their stuff. I've been replacing certain titles which never came out in Japan and am just shocked at what some people think mint means...
    Become History
    Awesome stuff I'm selling | Backloggery | Tumblr
    2013 Completion (2): PC (1), 360 (1)

5. Since this is gaining some traction around the web, a quick bump with the latest auction link. 1st CIB on open auction in several years ended at over 13k:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...STRK:MEBIDX:IT

http://videogames.yahoo.com/events/p...13-105/1389101

There have been a couple of sales in the past year between individuals that even eclipsed the price on this auction.

Im suspecting with all the media attention that a few more will be dug up.

6. It's crazy, but fascinating.
    Quote Originally Posted by Doc Holliday View Post
    K3V is awesome!

The seller's feedback for that most recent auction does call the authenticity of the game into question.

8. yawn

9. This explains why some dork called looking for this today.

10. yeah, it's all over digg, facebook, twitter, the usual places the masses hang out. lots of scams popping up now on ebay and craigslist too.

Edit: BTW, This thread oughta be getting quite a few hits for TNL.

Google Trending currently at #12, with the TNL link being one of the 1st few on the search
    Last edited by D_N_G; 14 Feb 2010 at 09:08 AM.