Page 1 of 6 1235 ... LastLast

Thread: Ah shit. Blizzard to make all franchises MMOs.

1. Ah shit. Blizzard to make all franchises MMOs.

http://f13.net/?itemid=167

Vivendi Universal Games gave a presentation to Wall Street today. Too much to report on everything said, but the big one was:

"All Blizzard franchises will become MMOGs."

All. They claim they have a model now to develop an MMOG in 3 years for $50 million. WoW cost 50 million euros and took 4 1/2 years.

They have bifurcated the MMOG market into two parts: long session games (more than two hours per session) and short session games (less than two hour sessions.) They will also be rolling out a bunch of short session games under the Sierra Online brand. An example is FreeStyle, a pick-up basketball online game scheduled for 2007 release. No details on pricing model for the short session games.

Shiznitz sent this in this morning and all I can say is good for them. Apparently splitting what will probably end up as 8-10 million customers (maybe more, asian gamers are unpredictable about things like STARCRAFT) across 3 games isn't a concern to them. They're lucky stock brokers know nothing about video games.
    Please tell me this shitty website is dumb and doesn't know what the fuck they are talking about.

I love WoW, but man, I don't want a Blizzard MMO sweatshop.
    Buy Yakuza and Oblivion. Help yourself, help TNL.

2. *cue Empire March theme*
    The spirit of liberty is the spirit which is not too sure it is always right. -Learned Hand

"Jesus christ you are still THE WORST." -FirstBlood

3. StarCraft 2 pls.
    Buy Yakuza and Oblivion. Help yourself, help TNL.

4. Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	money[1].jpg 
Views:	461 
Size:	22.5 KB 
ID:	19643  

5. I have no plans to make time in my life for any MMOs, but I'll be damned if a Diablo MMO wouldn't be incredibly tempting.
    -Kyo

6. Sweet. Rock N Roll Racing, Lost Vikings, and Blackthorne MMOs.

7. Quote Originally Posted by diffusionx
    Morphix's haul for 2006?

8. Blizzard sucks.

9. Quote Originally Posted by Andy
    StarCraft 2 pls.
    No, Blizzard can't beat Starcraft.

Just because games will become MMO does not mean they will all be RPGs. I fail to see how this isn't good news. You can take anything, say a basketball game, and make it MMO, which could mean something as simple as walking around a city to pick someone to play ball with.
    Quote Originally Posted by dakidski View Post
    prolapsed rectum 4 lyfe.