Thread: WTB Turbo Express

WTB Turbo Express

I'm wanting to buy a Turbo Express, I thought I'd check to see if anyone on here has one they'd like to sell. I'd prefer it not to have any dead pixels (one or two is okay if not in the center of the screen.) Some TEs have a problem with the sound not working through the internal speaker, that wouldn't be a problem for me as long as the sound works through the headphone jack.

Also, as far as pricing goes, I can buy a new one for $90, so a used one would need to be priced accordingly.
    Quote Originally Posted by EvilMog View Post
    Screw being smart. This is TNL.

2. Where can you get a new one for $90? That's a great price. Also, there is a fix to the internal speaker (volume too low, etc).

Yeah, it's a pretty simple fix, which is why I wouldn't care if it was messed up since all you have to do is solder on a new capacitor. That's actually how I can find the new one for $90, it needs the simple sound fix. I just thought I'd check here to see if anyone wanted to unload a used one cheaper first.

http://www.mindrec.com/index.php?mai...d=HSEXP-BADAUD

There are the $90 ones.
    Last edited by GohanX; 14 Jun 2006 at 10:28 AM.

4. Why do you want one of these? I imagine the battery life and screen are horrible, especially since they came out before the Nomad.

I love portables, and I will be picking up a PCE/TG16 flash card pretty soon, and it will be portable shooter heaven. Not to mention that it has near-perfect ports of a few of Sega's old arcade games.

As far as battery life goes, I'm not too concerned with that since NiMH batteries are so cheap, and the screens are actually pretty damn good. Almost as good as GBAs, and much better than anything that was out back then. The only issue they had was dropped pixels, there's a good chance that any given unit will have at least one.

6. The screen is definitely better than Nomad (which is very fuzzy). I love this portable, but it is abit bulky and heavy.

And the screen is only 2.6".

8. The screen is way better than the Nomad.

The battery life is enough to get a good fix of Galaga'88 in when riding the bus or train for a few hours. A note about battery use though:
    My PCE-GT requires a "warm up" period when using batteries. It's as if the pixels aren't juiced up enough, the sound and game are running, but adjusting contrast does nothing to produce an image. After like 10 minutes the screen will come in bright and clear. I've ruled out a problem with the screen since the AC adapter and 12-volt lighter adapter both juice it right-up from the word go.
    From doing some research I recall reading that the power from the batteries runs directly into the board with no regulator or whatever in between, so once the batteries get a little weak the screen can have brightness issues.

Well, I ordered one from Mindrec since I couldn't find any better offers. If anyone has any cheap hucards, I may be interested in them, although I'm planning on getting a flash card for it pretty soon.