Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Burial

1. News Burial

"Burial's dilapidated Afro NoFuturism does for London in the 00s what Wu Tang did for New York in the 90s. It delivers what Massive Attack promised but never really achieved. It's everything that Goldie's Timeless ought to have been. It's the Dub City counterpart to Luomo's Vocalcity. Imagine a spectralized Gorrilaz on downers, but a tenth as smug and ten times as evocative. Burial is one of the albums of the decade. Trust me."

- k-punk article.

So I finally managed to track a copy of this down (it's on kode9's Hyperdub label), and my initial feeling is that I am listening to a classic. The production is amazing. Like the article above mentions, it draws many parallels with Luomo's Vocalcity, because when I listen to it all I want to do is walk around the streets at night in the rain and be sad.

I really, really recommend anyone who is even slightly into dubstep, garage or dnb to check this out. Hell, anyone one who loves music would benefit from hearing this.

Here are two tracks from the album to whet your appetite. They lose a bit of their presence outside of the album's context, but they give you a decent idea of the record's feel.

Interview here. More samples linked at the end.

____
    Last edited by Detour; 15 Jun 2006 at 07:01 AM.
    ABOUT ME.

"Underground music should have its back turned, it needs to be gone, untrackable, unreadable"

Ok, it's official. I dislike dubstep. Repetitive looped beats with celestial pads does not enjoyment make. This is perfection? I could have come up with this in 30 seconds. How long did it take the genre to reach this point?
    Last edited by Scourge; 15 Jun 2006 at 04:34 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Scourge
    Ok, it's official. I dislike dubstep. Repetitive looped beats with celestial pads does not enjoyment make. This is perfection? I could have come up with this in 30 seconds. How long did it take the genre to reach this point?
    I am not familiar in particular with "dubstep", but as far as DnB goes, I think the genre has gone nothing but downhill since it's inception. DJ's like KingSize, T-Power, Goldie and Ronnie Size crafted interesting, "non-linear" beats, if you will, and kept the songs more musical, with actually melodies and coherent basslines. Since the good ole' days, it seems as though the beats have regressed to sped up Hip Hop beats, the whole "Hard" DnB thing has completely stripped the musicality out of it, and in general has become either too wierd or not wierd enough, if you catch my drift. Jesus, even one of my favorite DJ's LTJ Bukem has managed to make his music more and more boring as time progresses.

For a sample of what I consider the pinnacle of DnB, check out Jungle Skyy's "Liquid Jungle Sky Vol. 1".

4. Dub step isn't a progression of drum n bass, its a progression of dub. Dub has been around since the 1970's. It had pretty much stayed the same for decades with its long pulsing bass, echo'd samples and echo'd EQ'd up guitar riffs. Dub step has just taken things into new directions with pretty much various people world wide doing different sounds and taking bass frenquencies into deeper and higher ranges.

P.S if you think drum n bass is boring and not any good right now, you need to start listening again. Dnb made a major comeback around 2001 and even had another club explosion which actually drew females to the clubs....which was shocking for most. There is still the tech step/hard dnb stuff which is sounding much better now days with more ideas. There is also more club friendly/vocal tracks. There even seems to be a uprising of lots of "live" drum n bass groups sprining up again. Also throw into the fold the brazilian sounds of drum n bass labeled liquid funk and you have a lot of different sounds to choose from to keep interested.

Duly noted Rtificial. Suggestions? I haven't really listened to dance/club music in many years. I have seen a few live DnB acts, and for the most part, they pull it off really well. Adding the visual element of the live musicians really adds to the experience, especially the drummers. You can't be a slouch and hang with playing DnB, as it's just to fast and complex.

DnB that females like? How do you pull them away from the trance room? lol

Quote Originally Posted by Mykozo
    How do you pull them away from the trance room?
    By the fucking hair. Fucking cunts. Then you give them drugs and put things in their holes.

7. Quote Originally Posted by Josh
    By the fucking hair. Fucking cunts. Then you give them drugs and put things in their holes.
    POTD
    ABOUT ME.

"Underground music should have its back turned, it needs to be gone, untrackable, unreadable"

8. Quote Originally Posted by Mykozo
    Duly noted Rtificial. Suggestions? I haven't really listened to dance/club music in many years. I have seen a few live DnB acts, and for the most part, they pull it off really well. Adding the visual element of the live musicians really adds to the experience, especially the drummers. You can't be a slouch and hang with playing DnB, as it's just to fast and complex.

DnB that females like? How do you pull them away from the trance room? lol
    Heres some dnb that got women back into clubs...well atleast in the UK. I think one of the major breaking points in 2001 was when Kosheen really hit the charts with the song "hide U". Their whole first album had great catchy hooks for women(and men too) to sing along plus nice basslines and beats or the fellas(then remixes for the more serious types). Shy FX and T power also came out with a album full of vocal tunes that swayed more women into clubs, with tracks like "shake ur body". Also for pulling women out of the trance room, John B has been doing his "trance n bass" and "electro sessions" for awhile now combining everything from 80's music, drum n bass, trance styled dnb, electro bass, metal and whatever else to get people dancing. If you miss old LTJ Bukem style stuff and have fond memories of Omni Trio's early material, check out High Contrast, I personally love everything he does and both of his albums are solid. He takes old house/diva samples and combines it with drum breaks at todays Dnb speeds plus some beautiful atmospherics to make some killer dancefloor material. Finally for the whole liquid funk sound check Dj Marky and Patiffe from Brasil, they really broke things in the UK and world with they samba/brasil dnb.

As for dub step, things seem to be blowing up hardcore in the UK and NYC mainly for it. There are so many people doing their own style you have to listen around and see what you like. Its not really fair to listen to dub step on computer speakers cause your missing about half of the music, which the SUB SUB SUB sub bass tones. Some dub step producers are even bringing MC's into the equation to spice things up even further. I have a good bit of mix shows/dj mixes of dub step and I'm trying to track down who's been doing these really evil tracks with morbid samples, dark sounds and huge bass, cause I really dug that sound.

I have about 56 gigs of music on my comp, I'm a huge collector of various mixes, radio shows, bootleg live recordings of about anything electronic related....cept maybe trance.

9. Not that many of you will care, but Burial's new album ships in about 2 weeks.

Samples here.

Personally, I'm fucking shitting myself in anticipation.
    ABOUT ME.

10. I like his remix of Jamie Woon's - wayfaring stranger. I'm not really big on burial's sound unless i'm in the mood for something laid back. I'm more into the harsh and heavy dub step like vex'd, distance and milanese.

I heard a record the other day on the hyperdub label by kode9 and somebody that had a bunch of video game samples. They had the old 16 bit Konami boot up screen as a sample.

Also the press having been hyping this other "mysterious" duo that go by the name of various productions. I got their album and it didn't really blow me away either. I also seen they sampled pigface on the Jared from chemlab spoken word track. One of my friends is in chemlab so I'm gonna ask him if he knows he's been sampled on a dubstep track.