Page 1 of 6 1235 ... LastLast

Thread: Hard drive..

1. Hard drive..

I tried using the search feature but it kept coming up with an error as if I had no internet access or if the page is not found.

Anyways, I'm in search for a new harddrive. I currently have a 80GB with less then 80GB left. I was wondering what the difference, if any, is with IDE, Serial ATA, Ultra ATA (?), and whatever others are out there. I'm not computer savvy hence I am asking.

There is a ribbon cable where one end is connected to the mobo (obviously), the middle is connected to my 80GB and the other end was originally connected to my ZIP drive but I took it out. I can just plug that end to the new HD? I hope I make sense. I guess when I get the HD, i can read the instructions if there is any?

I have my eye on this

http://shop1.outpost.com/product/4187703

That's a sweet deal for a hard drive.

The ribbon cable is called an IDE cable. Yes, connecting the other inline plug on the IDE cable will work just fine, however, if you have a second IDE channel on your mobo (the connector will most likely be right next to the first one) then use that. If your CD/DVD drive is connected to the second IDE channel, put the second drive on that cable as well. It does not matter which plug, the end plug or inline plug, that you use for either device.

Serial ATA's boast higher transfer rates than IDE's, and if you have SATA connections on your mobo, go with the SATA drive. SATA's also tend to be a bit more expensive, as with most newer tech.

3. This is the new mobo that I bought.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...tem=6873881417

Since I dont have much money, I guess I'll go for IDEs (I think thats what I have currently now on my 80GB). It seems that my new mobo does have Serial ATA but I dont think I have the extra cash to spend.

4. I'd go with a SATA drive since your mobo supports it. I use www.bensbargains.net to get anything on the cheap. Hard drives are usually added there every week or even a few days if you check every day.

EDIT: They currently have a deal up for a 500GB SATA HDD for under $200.
    Last edited by Raz0r; 16 Jun 2006 at 01:03 PM.

5. 500GB? WOOOO..too much space and thats more then what i would want to spend. thanks for the link.

There is no thing as too much space you fucking noob.

7. Quote Originally Posted by Josh
    There is no thing as too much space you fucking noob.
    Well I dont need that much. I wouldnt even come close to using it all. I only need about 250GB...noob

8. I have a 200gb hard drive. Graduated from a 40 gig that was always out of space. I really thought I would have gotten a second HD now for archiving. But I havent. I have never had less than 80 gigs of free space.

Now. I dont download movies and have a fairly modest sized mp3 collection (12 gigs I believe). Having an extra 500gb would be madness for me if I cant fill up 200.

Faggot.

10. douche bagelow.