Page 1 of 42 123515 ... LastLast

Thread: KOF XI (PS2 Import)

1. FXI: King of Fighters XI

Here's a few tidbits about FXI: The King Of Fighters XI on Atomiswave from loketests. Maybe it should actually be KOF XII, but it looks like they didn't count NeoWave. Just like 2003, FXI will be a tag battle.

Time Overs are not decided by remaining life any more. The timer will tip toward whoever is fighting more skillfully at the given time in the match. If it's pointing toward you when the time runs out, you win.

Mai isn't in this lineup (hopefully that'll change). And none of the pre-existing characters get new sprites. Before too long, one or both of Kaphwan's 2 sons will probably take his place in a future KOF since we're closing in on the Garou time period- hence some Garou characters joining in.

Word has it that 40 characters are expected in the final roster.

Madman's Cafe lineup for FXI- Unconfirmed:
    Ash/ Oswald/ Shen-Wu
    K'/ Kula/ Maxima
    Terry/ Kim/ Duck
    B.Jenet/ Gato/ Griffon
    Kyo/ Iori/ Shingo
    Vanessa/ Mary/ Ramon
    Ralf/ Clark/ Whip
    Ryo/ Yuri/ King
    Marin/ Kasumi/ Eiji
    Elisabeth/ Duolong/ Benimaru
    Athena/ Kensou/ Momoko

Quote Originally Posted by The Professor @ MMCafe
    Originally Posted by the Professor

Controls

A,C: Punches
    B,D: Kicks
    E: Thrust (good old CD) attack
    Start: Taunt
    A+C / B+D : Partner Change
    A+C / B+D during an attack: Quick Shift (Changes to partner, requires 1 Skill stock)
    A+C / B+D while getting attacked: Saving Shift (Changes to partner, requires 2 Skill stocks)
    note: I think this can be used like a combo breaker, but I haden't seen anyone actually doing any of these moves that specifically requires skill stock.
    Evacuation : A+B
    Guard Cancel Evacuation: A+B during guard (requires 1 skill stock)
    Guard Cancel Thrust: E during guard (requires 1 Power stock)
    Leader Super: Requires 2 Power Stock
    Super Cancel (cancel special attack into super attack): Requires 1 Skill + 1 Power Stock
    Dream Cancel (cancel from super attack into leader attack) : Requires 1 Skill + 2 Power Stock

Load time(?) before each match was about 8-10 seconds.
    Quote Originally Posted by beezlebubble at SRK
    info directly from someone who attended:

-duck is in but unplayable
    -eiji is in but unplayable
    -kula
    -kensou
    -momoko
    -oswald(new)
    -elizabet(new)
    -kasumi todoh
    -b jenet is unplayable atm

-new bgs are great, some beatiful (hokkaido? ice festival stage, and the japanese temple with sakura garden one for example). they are better animated than nbc or neowave but not quite 2k2 or 98 or something.
    -weird colors (pink hair and gi ryo???)
    -same engine as nbc= feels loose like nbc. doesnt feel like 2k2/2k3/98 etc something i dont like so much.
    -wipeout feel/hyper modern interface/bars and loading screens. looks very polished and professional
    -40+characters, vanessa, shingo, kula, king, malin, mary.
    -no choi.
    -looks blurred (sprites) up close ala nbc
    -e button is CD move
    -too many systems that i didnt read. lots of cancel types and stuff.
    -new moves... ryo has a very fast andy style dash elbow. k a new normal HK.
    -slower than 2k3 but faster than nbc id say.
    -tag in like 2k3.
    -move motions have changed for some chars.
    -100 sec real speed timer... bit fast atm.
    -lots of transperencies and the ingame effects all look nice and polished unlike neowave.
    -seems quite smooth animation wise and sprites seem quite big.
    -adelheid from 2k3.
    -all three bars displayed with 2 smaller below one big one (current character).

more from me tomorrow plus im sure we'll hear heaps from rbjake and 8-1 today

2. Unfortunately it also has those same old graphics.

3. Fuckin' B. Jenet. Hell yeah.
    All I need is Knushnood Butt/Marco Rodriguez and Freeman and I'll love SNK again.

4. hahaha, a game in 2005 with graphics from 1995

5. Quote Originally Posted by cka
    hahaha, a game in 2005 with graphics from 1995
    And these damn standard resolution sprites on Naomi grade hardware, no doubt. SNK Playmore seems to not know what "Smoke 'em if you got 'em" means. I could be happy with KOF 2003 animation if the sprites were made in medium resolution (640x480).

I think the KOF series should've probably gone on a 1 year hiatus with new sprites being created. The time invested in NeoWave could probably have been spent on redrawing sprites for FXI.

Oh, one more thing. Where the hell is Bob Wilson?
    Last edited by gameoverDude; 15 May 2005 at 08:09 PM.

6. No hotaru

7. :: pulls hair out ::

It makes no fucking sense, why the hell can't they re-draw a goddamned character? Its absolutely retarded! Does like an Official from SNK attend the location tests? Because if they did I would have to imagine they would hear people complaining about the fact that they refuse to update any graphics beyond backgrounds and energy bars.

And that new Time Over victory decision sounds like it won't work at all.
    Barf! Barf! Barf!

8. So I take it no one has snuck any screenshots yet? I was hoping for quite a few new sprites as well... SNK should just suprise everyone next year and go all high-res, a la Guilty Gear. Most SNK characters already ooze enough style even as 6 year-old lo-res sprites.
    "You can't run forever, Jack. Not from death, not from your shadow, and not from Ron Silver."

9. Quote Originally Posted by digita1alchemy
    SNK should just suprise everyone next year and go all high-res, a la Guilty Gear.
    Remember the episode of Family Guy with the British Bar and the hurricaine? Remember the beginning, where there were scenes of Peter from many decades saying that he was going to talk big to his boss? That's SNK fans about SNK redrawing sprites every year.

10. Quote Originally Posted by ChaoofNee
    Remember the episode of Family Guy with the British Bar and the hurricaine? Remember the beginning, where there were scenes of Peter from many decades saying that he was going to talk big to his boss? That's SNK fans about SNK redrawing sprites every year.
    As long people keep buying games with re-drawn sprites, which they apprently are because they keep recycling them every year, SNK will never buckle down and redraw all of them. I think the high-res thing would be good for them, sales-wise. As much as people openly bitch about this, at least in America, I don't see how SNK couldn't see this too.

What do gamers in Japan think? Maybe they just don't give a damn...so neither does SNK.
    "You can't run forever, Jack. Not from death, not from your shadow, and not from Ron Silver."