Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: What are the symptoms of an overheated CPU

1. Yeah I just checked by BIOS and it didn't tell me temp, I didn't think it would.

See if you can find a program called "PC Wizard." That will tell you everything you'd ever need to know about your PC.
    Well that's like, your opinion, man.

2. I don't think it's heat. If you have cooling problems it would generally show up much faster than a few hours. Everything is up to operating temperature within the first 10 minutes. I think your Windows just fucked itself, or you have a hardware failure somewhere. If you don't find a heating prob next step is a reinstall imo.

3. Yeah overheating definitely wouldn't cause the problems you described.

4. Quote Originally Posted by OmniGear
    See if you can find a program called "PC Wizard." That will tell you everything you'd ever need to know about your PC.
    I found it and it does tell me everything. That is, everything but the temp of my board lol. If it's a hardware problem I'm going to go with McAfee Firewall. That's the last program I've installed before my comp started acting funky. I"m going to uninstall and run with Windows firewall to see how it goes.

Thanks for the help. I'll update as soon as I see changes.

5. No way, it has to tell you CPU temp. I do not believe you!

6. o rly?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	lawl.jpg 
Views:	873 
Size:	87.5 KB 
ID:	19708  

7. I have PC Wizard 2004 and it tells me processor temp both in the tab that you took a screenshot of and the processor tab itself. So, did you check the processor tab?

So apparantly they took this information out of the current version. Completely lame. Sorry!

8. The reason you aren't getting any temp readings is because I don't think your motherboard has a sensor. Therefore if one program won't do it, neither will any of the others and neither will your BIOS.
    Laptops are certainly like this, so I guess some desktops are as well.
    If you want to try something else, get Motherboard Monitor (MBM) but I don't think you'll have any luck.

Back to the point about your cpu overheating though, my XP Barton started burning up once (smelt like burnt hair) and visually nothing was wrong with the computer, and it was above 70 degrees I think.

Anyway, what you can do to test if you're overheating; see what happens when you change the environment so that it definately is not overheating:
    -Open your case and hoover out all the dust from the heatsink, at least it will run cooler, even if this is not the cause of the problem.
    -Open the side of your case to increase airflow. Maybe stick a desktop fan blowing into it, and see if that makes a difference.

What is the airflow like in your case generally?

[EDIT] My hard disks run at 28, 33 and 33 degrees, so yours are clearly quite a bit hotter (I have 3 different brands, so the readings are quite consistant).
    Maybe the airflow in your case is bad.
    Last edited by Burky; 25 Jun 2006 at 03:17 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by OmniGear
    F2 on bootup.
    Different keys for different mobos, foo...

and your mobo might have a disc with it that has programs that show temps.

10. Quote Originally Posted by Burky
    The reason you aren't getting any temp readings is because I don't think your motherboard has a sensor. Therefore if one program won't do it, neither will any of the others and neither will your BIOS.
    Laptops are certainly like this, so I guess some desktops are as well.
    If you want to try something else, get Motherboard Monitor (MBM) but I don't think you'll have any luck.

Back to the point about your cpu overheating though, my XP Barton started burning up once (smelt like burnt hair) and visually nothing was wrong with the computer, and it was above 70 degrees I think.

Anyway, what you can do to test if you're overheating; see what happens when you change the environment so that it definately is not overheating:
    -Open your case and hoover out all the dust from the heatsink, at least it will run cooler, even if this is not the cause of the problem.
    -Open the side of your case to increase airflow. Maybe stick a desktop fan blowing into it, and see if that makes a difference.

What is the airflow like in your case generally?

[EDIT] My hard disks run at 28, 33 and 33 degrees, so yours are clearly quite a bit hotter (I have 3 different brands, so the readings are quite consistant).
    Maybe the airflow in your case is bad.
    I deleted the McAfee firewall and opened up my tower case. I have a Dell so the airflow isn't that great to begin with. The fan generates a shit-ton of dust that has to be cleaned out at least once a week.

Also, my harddrives are taped together (el oh el) so they're probably hotter only because they're on top of one another. I had no extra space in my case so this is the only way to do it.