Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: all sorts of error messages

1. all sorts of error messages

Today I woke up and couldn't boot my computer because of a fucked up \windows\system32\config\system folder. I tried to boot into Windows Setup from the CD but keep getting BSOD errors... no matter what I do I get an error and I've gotten like 3 different ones (0x74, 0x7E, 0x8E). I have no idea what is going wrong. Well I have an idea for the first problem but all these BSOD errors are really baffling me. As I cant get anywhere in the Windows Setup, which is pretty much just loading shit from the CD-ROM to the HD, I figure its one of those, but does anyone have any ideas? Thanks.

2. Wait, so you can't even read a CD from the drive before Windows boots up?
    Quote Originally Posted by BerringerX
    I am pretty sure one of the reasons Jesus died is so we could enjoy delicious chicken and waffle fries seven days a week.
    Eat a bag of dicks.

3. No, its fucking up there too. At least Windows is. Im gonna try Knoppix to see if I can get ANYWHERE.

Next time Im just buying a PC. Fuck this noise.

4. If you're not worried about losing any thing on there, I recommend you stick the HD into another system, and format it that way, then reinstall everything else once it's formatted. I had to do that a month or 2 ago, I lost everything on the HD, but I at least got the fucker up and running again, which was a relief.
    I am pretty sure one of the reasons Jesus died is so we could enjoy delicious chicken and waffle fries seven days a week.
    Eat a bag of dicks.

5. Quote Originally Posted by BrAnDX105
    If you're not worried about losing any thing on there, I recommend you stick the HD into another system, and format it that way, then reinstall everything else once it's formatted. I had to do that a month or 2 ago, I lost everything on the HD, but I at least got the fucker up and running again, which was a relief.
    No, I am worried about losing a lot of things on there.

6. Well then I guess I am of no help
    Eat a bag of dicks.

7. Maybe it's your ram?
    They always give BSODs at boot if they're running to fast, etc.
    It would be unusual though, as I never heard of Gskills being bad.
    Try loading the optimised defaults in your BIOS. Failing that flash the cmos.
    (If you don't know how to do that, check your manual; it will involve taking the battery out, moving a jumper nearby, leaving it ten minutes, switching the jumper back, replacing battery)

If it's any consellation, it's most likely just your winxp installation which is fucked, meaning that if you take your hard disk and put it in someone elses pc, so that it's not booting off it, then you will still be able to access your files and rescue the important stuff.
    Then reformat the disk and you're set.
    This has happened to me a few times, and I never lost anything.

I hope you're as lucky too.
    Last edited by Burky; 24 Jun 2006 at 12:04 PM.

8. It MIGHT be the RAM, one of those errors corresponds to it, but I thought I paid a lot of money for good RAM (on your recommendation), not piece of shit cheapo crap that takes a shit in 3 months.

9. True, and I am sorry if the ram is failing you, though like I say, I never heard of any problems.

To test your ram at boot, get memtest86+ and burn it to a CD (bootable), and run it.
    Then once your in there, press: C, 1, 3, 8, 0 and let it run for maybe 5 passes.
    (That chooses the most rigorous test, and will definately let you know if your ram is fucked)
    If your ram passes 5 rounds of that test, then it's good ram, and somehow your hard drive just went bad.

Just take it to a friends and you'll be fine.

10. Yea, Ill give it a try. Thanks. Im burning Knoppix now, hopefully that will help me recover the most critical stuff on the HD before I do anything too exotic. I just dont want my computer to be bricked, and I definitely got nervous seeing all those errors pop up. I have a lot of important stuff on there too.
    Last edited by diffusionx; 24 Jun 2006 at 12:39 PM.