Page 2 of 22 FirstFirst 1234616 ... LastLast

Thread: TurboGrafx-16

1. Great thread, there's a lot of games here I've meant to try and it slipped my mind. A lot of ones I loved too. I still like to go back to Ninja Spirit every now and then, but that part with the rising ninjas in that pit near the end makes me insane.

Quote Originally Posted by Sega saturn x
    I love my turbo 16/cd the only problem is collecting for it is even more expensive than the saturn. I only have about ten games and finding them in the wild is next to impossible and prepair for blunt force trauma on ebay.
    Yeah... I have a TG16 and a PCE, but very few games for each. It's easy to know what hucards I'd like to pick up because of emulation, but the prices on some of the more popular games are horrifying. I want a Duo so I can actually play the CD games on the system, but those are a lot harder to try before you buy (good luck finding images, at least), and the pricing on a lot of them is damn prohibitive. It's pretty frustrating, because I'd love to have a much bigger library than I do, but I don't see it happpening anytime soon.

Quote Originally Posted by New Age of Aces
    I'd love to see the Valis series resurrected. What ever happened to Telenet? Do they even exist anymore?
    Be careful what you wish for. It's hentai now.
    http://www.bb5.jp/pr/valis/valisx/01/index.php

sidenote: While trying to find that link again, Google took me to Melf's site. Hear that, Melf? Your website is in the top 5 for Valis hentai!

2. Quote Originally Posted by Grave
    Be careful what you wish for. It's hentai now.
    http://www.bb5.jp/pr/valis/valisx/01/index.php

sidenote: While trying to find that link again, Google took me to Melf's site. Hear that, Melf? Your website is in the top 5 for Valis hentai!
    WTF!?

3. And the Wii having TurboGrafx-16 games on it makes me even happier. Thank you Neo.

4. The near inexistence of the PC-Engine hardware in PAL territories might not have helped it. A lot of the 'good' games are old-style shootemups, which can be very hard to stomach after you've played the newer kind.

I don't think I'll ever bother with these consoles due to rarity, price and an asshole's collector's market. Emulation will do.
    Last edited by Mikey; 01 Jul 2006 at 04:51 PM.

5. Wow, I can't wait for Wii.
    I'm also curious how Street fighter compared to Genesis/SNES.
    Also, what technically set TG16 apart from Genesis/SNES? Awesome thread Neo!

I absolutely love the Duo, it is pretty much all I've played for the last few days. I didn't get mine until a couple of years ago, and I'd still take it over any current or last gen stuff. I'm still learning what's what for it, so a few games on the list I'll definitely look into, thanks NeoZeed.

I badly need an arcade stick for mine, btw, can anyone direct me to a good one for it or preferablly a tutorial to build my own?

Anyways, most of my favorites are on the list already, but here are a few others I recommend:

Dragon's Curse: I know this is one of the Wonderboy games, and might be better on other systems, but this is the one I play and love. Awesome 'Metroidvania' type game.

Gain Ground SX: Awesome soundtrack and better graphics make an already great game even greater.

Rayxanber III: the second one may not have been so hot, but this shit is the jam- the perfect middle ground between R-Type and Thunderforce. This will be my next game purchase.

Legend of Xanadu II- An arpg much better than Ys, IMO, and hands down one of the best looking games of the era. Short, but intense and deeply playable (I don't know any Japanese) with a great soundtrack (although all chipped sadly). I also have much love for the 'first' one, which has over a hundred great songs for a soundtrack (still all chipped though) and a longer quest with better cinemas, but it just isn't as playable or jaw-dropping as it's sequel.
    To boldly go where lots of men have gone before...

7. A good system with a few very very fun games, but it deserves to sit behind Genesis and SNES. The Turboexpress was pure sex though, except for the battery drain.

8. This thread brought back some fond memories. I sorely regret selling my TG-16 with all my games for $90 back in the day. But it taught me a lesson, and one I won't soon forget: hold onto your crap.

9. I've played Street Fighter II via MagicEngine, and if it's accurate to an TG16, then the graphics are better than the Genesis (more colorful, I found the characters a bit larger), but a bit grainier than the SNES (though I actually liked that). The music and sound is from a technical standpoint worse than the Genesis and SNES, but I liked it well enough. I used a pad that resembled a Dual Shock controller, so I can't say how good/bad the control scheme is. It did seem more responsive than the SNES version, but I can't tell if that's Magic Engine vs. ZSNES or the actual TG16 port vs. the SNES.

Hope that helps whoever was interested.

Quote Originally Posted by Mikey
    The near inexistence of the PC-Engine hardware in PAL territories might not have helped it. A lot of the 'good' games are old-style shootemups, which can be very hard to stomach after you've played the newer kind.
    That's like saying that you won't eat filet because you've eaten newer hamburgers. Today's shumps are 90% trash. Thank Gradius V for keeping it that low.

I don't think I'll ever bother with these consoles due to rarity, price and an asshole's collector's market. Emulation will do.
    As opposed to the asshole intellectual property thief market, right?

This and the SMS thread have really surprised me as far as just how ignorant TNL is of the even slightly off-the-beaten path platforms. You guys have no business calling yourselves gamers.