Page 4 of 22 FirstFirst ... 23456818 ... LastLast

Thread: TurboGrafx-16

1. Quote Originally Posted by BlackFlame
    So, are most if any of these games going to be on Wii's Virtual Console? They all look pretty darn good and it's a shame I missed out in the system's heyday.
    I hope so, since I'm in the same boat you are.
    Hopefully we'll see a list sooner or later.

2. Quote Originally Posted by Yoshi
    That's like saying that you won't eat filet because you've eaten newer hamburgers. Today's shumps are 90% trash. Thank Gradius V for keeping it that low.
    Only senile fogeys dislike bullet hell shooters.

3. Quote Originally Posted by Yoshi
    Granzort.
    And it is a complete waste of silicon, just like Keith Fucking Courage in the Kindergarden zone.

4. Quote Originally Posted by Blaster
    -Turbo Stick
    NEC designed stick. Looks nice and reminds me of the NES Advantage. Never used it though.

I have one... not really a fan. I love the TurboPad, though, so that doesn't say much against the stick, I just prefer a different controller. If that pic of a suitcase full of reproduction Wii controllers Kotaku posted is real, I'd love to use a TurboPad for NES games.

Quote Originally Posted by Sqoon
    Guess I'm as senile and old as it gets, then. I thought Gradius V was the best shooter I've played this last generation. It's not that I hate them, but I find them a lot less interesting than Gradius or R-Type styled games. Maybe it's because I haven't played enough of them, but I feel like the stylish art that goes with a lot of recent "bullet hell" sort of shooters is a vain attempt at making them seem different while the gameplay is identical to all of the others.

Am I wrong? I'm kind of curious, really.

5. I did some searching on granzort and it seems that it being Keith courage 2 is the big rumor. Granzort seems to have a bunch of different names also which led to the mystery.

Purely by coincidence, I've been playing the hell out of TG16/Duo stuff these past few weeks.

One thing that is missing from the games list is that the PC Engine also had a lot of great Sega arcade games, although most of them were available only in Japan. The PCE versions of Outrun, Shinobi, Afterburner 2, and Space Harrier were the best home versions available until much, much later. They are favorites of mine on the TurboExpress.

Also, as far as Street Fighter 2 goes, it's really great. I think the SNES version overall is the one to have, but the PCE is excellent. The graphics are better than the Genesis version, but don't quite have the detail of the SNES. The music is decent, but again not as good as the SNES one. But the controls, it's a love/hate thing here. The game plays smooth as butter, it's extremely responsive, perhaps evern more than the SNES games. I have no trouble pulling off any move I want, and I usually have problems using pads instead of sticks in SF2 (I can't really play the GBA SF games.) The hate part is the fact that is only has TWO fucking buttons. With a 6 button pad I would probably pick the PCE version over anything but the arcade, but with the two buttons it's somewhat maddening, although I have become used to it. Like the sega games, this is a mainstay on my Express. I have learned that mapping the switch button to Start instead of Select helps things a lot.

Finally, Dracula X isn't rare, just expensive. If there was no such thing as ebay, you'd probably see them at every import shop for $40 each. That being said, it's one of the few games that is worth the extra price tag (I paid $130 for mine.)
    Last edited by GohanX; 01 Jul 2006 at 11:35 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by EvilMog View Post
    Screw being smart. This is TNL.

Quote Originally Posted by Vasteel
    Thank you.
    Just curious, do you have a multitap?
    For the Turbo or PCE? Not anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by Sqoon
    Senile fogeys with taste.

Quote Originally Posted by Rtificial
    I did some searching on granzort and it seems that it being Keith courage 2 is the big rumor. Granzort seems to have a bunch of different names also which led to the mystery.
    Keith Courage is the US version of Wataru, a popular anime or kids show at the time. Granzort was a spinoff or something to that show, I thought. Maybe an anime fan can confirm.
    To boldly go where lots of men have gone before...

9. Quote Originally Posted by Grave
    Maybe it's because I haven't played enough of them, but I feel like the stylish art that goes with a lot of recent "bullet hell" sort of shooters is a vain attempt at making them seem different while the gameplay is identical to all of the others.
    I'm going to go with the first part of that sentence. Personally I feel the entire genre peaked at ESP RaDe but I still enjoy a lot of the offerings before and since.

10. Quote Originally Posted by Vasteel
    Keith Courage is the US version of Wataru, a popular anime or kids show at the time. Granzort was a spinoff or something to that show, I thought. Maybe an anime fan can confirm.
    Yea when I was searching I kept pulling up some old school anime called Granzort something something, it had a bunch of names too. I watched a clip on youtube and it seemed like some sorta dragon ball z with summoned monsters.