Page 7 of 22 FirstFirst ... 3567891121 ... LastLast

Thread: TurboGrafx-16

1. Dare I say that I was a big fan of Fire Pro second bout and Legand Bout?

Great versions of the great series.

2. The Turbo is probably my favorite system, it has a few classics on it but even the games deemed medicore seem highly playable and enjoyable. I remember New Adventure Island getting tepid reviews (Gamefan gave it 60's) and it turned out to be my favorite game in the series and the one Hudson seemed to use for the template of the GC/PS2 remake. A few games not mentioned:

Atomic Robo-Kid / Mr. Heli: Fun maze/shooter titles with highly personable characters and a decent challenge. The Turbo port of Atomic was little different than the Genny version and worth playing though it lacked the graphics.

Gain Ground SX: Better looking than the Genny version and the blah PS2 remake but lacking two player and a whole set of levels.

Chuka Taisen? (aka Cloud Master on SMS) Like Long Nosed Gremlin another good Taito shooter that never made it onto Taito Memories or Legends. Your character was very nimble and had decent firepower and the game allowed you to turn like Sidearms. The boss encounters were pretty detailed too.

Parasol Stars: A game in the Bubble Bobble series, one of the easier ones to beat too.

Cho Aniki/ Ai Cho Aniki: Both of these games are well-done and miles above anything released on later consoles. NCS/Masaya always did a great job disguising loading in Duo games (see Macross 2036 and Sub Man 3 two other good titles from them) and you can see their technical prowness in both games. Cho Aniki had a dark fantasy look to it with lots of mini-bosses, scrolling backgrounds, and detailed setpieces. Aside from some graphic hiccups and being a bit easy it was a top-notch shooter. Ai Cho Aniki was weirder but still a really well done game and change for shooters. Alot of your attacks were done with button combos and the pace was more like a driving game like Sega Rally/Outrun where hitting checkpoints with enough time was the key to beating the game.

Rayxander III: Part two was a good game but incredibly difficult. III was well-balanced game, your ship's firepower was acceptable compared to the re-starting nightmare of Gradius and R-Type. The backgrounds and enemies are very detailed, I've wondered if any of the designers had a hand in Thunderforce 4, as both games have very detailed but muted looking designs and some really nicely rendered figures.

Probably the worst part of the Turbo was it's place in the history of CD-Rom technology. I take good care of my Duo but often wonder when it's going to just stop. With TZD no longer being a licensed repair center there's really no place to repair a Turbo product. *-neo
    Last edited by Low; 03 Jul 2006 at 02:24 AM.

3. Agreeance on ESP Rade, it's the only shooter besides DoDonPachi I actually played to hell for score. Too bad its sequel was rather disappointing.
    That's the first time I've heard anybody call Galuda "disappointing."

4. Two games I want to make note of:
    -Gunboat. Perfect example of a great idea poorly executed. I'd actually like to see this remade, as it's a bit ahead of it's time. The first gen 32-bit era would have been perfect for this game. I wanted so bad to have fun with this, playing make-believe Apocalypse Now.

-Tiger Road. Didn't see this one mentioned at all. It's just another sidescrolling action game, but it has this campy 1970's kung fu movie style to it. Some of you might like this.
    Currently playing: AES: Metal Slug 3, Prehistoric Isle 2, Blazing Star, Fatal Fury Special

Quote Originally Posted by Blaster
    -Tiger Road. Didn't see this one mentioned at all. It's just another sidescrolling action game, but it has this campy 1970's kung fu movie style to it. Some of you might like this.
    The music is still stuck in my head. Fans of the arcade game should know that it is not a port but loosely based on it.

6. Two recent threads that hit close to home (this and SMS).
    When i was ready to move up from the SMS, it was the time when the Genesis was $99 for the core, and the Turbo was $69.99 with Keith Courage.
    All my friends had Sega, but I only had a little over a $100. So the choice was a system and no game, or a system with TWO games. As I scanned the aisle at Toys R Us I saw a game that cemented my decision. I did a double take, because although I knew the game from the box art, I had never heard it called Fighting Street before. I played Street Fighter all the time at the local pizza shop and though it was hard for me to get any moves off i loved the game.
    So i grabbed the tickets for the system and game and took them to the counter.
    Then my world was destroyed.
    The lady at the counter informed me that you needed the CD attachment to play Fighting Street. So i went back a picked out Victory Run.
    Now a days i find both of these games unplayable, but at the time I played the shit out of them. I loved the maintenance required to keep your car going in VR.
    Over the next couple of years I amassed a somewhat sizeable collection of games (at least 40). Most of the standouts have already been listed by others ( i too hated the part in Ninja Spirit where you fall down through the cave).

Eventually I got a SNES, and made one of my biggest regrets ever. I traded all my Turbo stuff in for Raiden Trad for SNES (got a whole $60 credit, and it was one of the few games i could afford). I liked Raiden well enough, but was disappointed when I beat the game the first time I played it. That was the last time I ever seriously traded anything in.

As an aside, years later I got a Duo and one of the first games I bought for it was Fighting Street. I was oh so glad that I didn't get it as my first non pack in game for the Turbo. I pobably would have never bought another game for it.

My first NEC system purchase was very late... 1995. I bought a Duo and Dracula X, both complete, for $125. Yes, you read that right. It was back in the rec.videogame.marketplace days. It was also my first ever import.

8. Quote Originally Posted by Yoshi
    My first NEC system purchase was very late... 1995. I bought a Duo and Dracula X, both complete, for $125. Yes, you read that right. It was back in the rec.videogame.marketplace days. It was also my first ever import.
    Nice! I love rvgm way back when too.... I still have my copy of Dracula X, bought it for $75 and thought it was expensive, hehe.

9. Quote Originally Posted by Yoshi
    My first NEC system purchase was very late... 1995. I bought a Duo and Dracula X, both complete, for $125.
    Damn, dude. Nice buy. I remember back in '95 the EBs, Babbages, and Software Etc's in Orlando were selling brand new TurboDuos complete with five or so games for $49.99. I should've grabbed one, dammit.

Come to think of it, EB was selling Radiant Silvergun and Dracula X for Saturn for forty bucks a pop back in '98. Talk about missed opportunity.

Quote Originally Posted by Yoshi
    It was also my first ever import.
    My first import was Ex Ranza back in '93. I have to admit, the U.S. version was better, at least gameplay wise.

10. Got nothing else to say 'cept Neo did it again.

TG-16 is my favorite system. That's all.

Edit: As usual, I've zoned in on the Castlevania-esque titles.
    Last edited by Brisco Bold; 03 Jul 2006 at 04:43 PM.