Page 9 of 22 FirstFirst ... 5789101113 ... LastLast

Thread: TurboGrafx-16

1. Quote Originally Posted by Vasteel
    Exactly. If it does happen, and I hope beyond hope it does, it would truly be the McIllin'.
    What I feel is more likely though is the same first party Nintendo stuff, plus Bomberman and maybe Bonk.
    Hudson commited to 100 games for the VC, I think we'll see more than Bonk.
    Currently playing: AES: Metal Slug 3, Prehistoric Isle 2, Blazing Star, Fatal Fury Special

2. Quote Originally Posted by Blaster
    Hudson commited to 100 games for the VC, I think we'll see more than Bonk.
    Military Madness + Wiimote would be more than alright with me. I wonder if they can compress the audio on the CD games and give us some of those, too.

They shouldn't need to compress too much. CDs don't hold much data, especially with 1995 compression routines.

4. Quote Originally Posted by Yoshi
    They shouldn't need to compress too much. CDs don't hold much data, especially with 1995 compression routines.
    The lack of hard drive is what makes me worry. I mean, if it uses some kind of easily expandable flash memory in the area of 1+ GB, sure, it'll be fine. The redbook audio is the killer, though. If amateur PCE emulators can play it back in mp3 format, though, I'd like to think that Hudson and Nintendo could manage something similar, too. I carried around Dracula X, several NGCD isos, the GGXX#R iso, along with a pile of NES, SNES, and Genesis roms on my PSP's 1GB memory stick, so I'd like to think if Nintendo wants this thing to take off, they'll give us adequate room to download new games.

It's uses SD cards, so they should be fine.

6. The PC Engine is certainly one of my favourite system. I only had the HuCard system at the beginning. Then, oh boy, I remember the day I got a SuperCDRom and Gradius 2. In France, Sodipeng imported the system 'as-is' with small printed leaflets in French. I discovered the system this way, I'm not even talking about the excellent RGB modification that came with it, this was awesome. I only wished they did a better job with the TurboGrafx-16. The system is nearly twice as big as the original japanese CoreGrafx.They also totally ruined the excellent art-work.

7. Quote Originally Posted by donuts
    I only wished they did a better job with the TurboGrafx-16. The system is nearly twice as big as the original japanese CoreGrafx.
    That's the number one reason that, despite the fact I own a PCE and a TG16, I'd rather get games for the PCE. It's very small, convenient to take around, and the TG16 is considerably less so. The AV mod on my PCE sucks, though, and I may need to redo it soon. Hell, I'd like to get a PCE unit in better condition, but I don't know if I ever will.

I always wondered if it would be possible for someone to make a custom PCE CD unit with a tray that somehow went underneath, and not side by side. Something like that would be awesome.

Quote Originally Posted by NeoZeedeater

Spriggan Mark 2(import)
    This horizontal view sequel wasn't as well received as the first game judging by various reviews although I think it's almost as good.
    Can you tell me a little more about this one? I'm thinking about buying it, seeing as I love most of Compile's other shmups.
    To boldly go where lots of men have gone before...

It has been a while since I played it but from what I remember it doesn't have as much of that distinct "Compile feel" as the first Spriggan or most of their shooters. It has a lot of story to it for its genre although I can't read Japanese to know if it's any good. The cinemas are below average for a Turbo CD game. The action itself is good although it doesn't really try anything different.

10. NEC sold about five million Turbo Grafx 16 units in North America.

It also got released in Europe known as Turbo Grafx, they dropped the 16 as it was false marketing (it is actually an 8-bit system) -- it sold about 50 000 units. At least that's better than the Pippin that sold less than a thousand units in Europe.