Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Recording sound from DVDs

1. Recording sound from DVDs

Hey kids. I've been looking for certain sound effects for a movie I'm making but I can't find them anywhere on the net. The effects I need are actually in a few movies on DVD that I own so I could just record them from there, but I can't figure out how. I tried playing the DVD on my PC and using Microsoft Sound Recorder but that didn't work- seems that program only takes input from a microphone, unless there's an option to change this that I didn't notice. Is there? If not, are there any other applications in XP or that I can download that can do what I need?

Trimming and editing the effects I record, I can do. I just need to be able to record them in the first place. Thanks.

Dolemite, the Bad-Ass King of all Pimps and Hustlers
    Gymkata: I mean look at da lil playah woblin his way into our hearts in the sig awwwwwww

2. There are a bunch of dvd sound rippers, just gotta search for a good one. Either they are trials with limited use or come with spyware.

Try this one I remember the name but can't remember if it was good or not.

Imtoo ripper

3. http://audacity.sourceforge.net/

As found in the free software thread. You do have to download a codec for MP3 or Wavs though.

4. Thanks. I'l give it a shot.

*EDIT* Okay, I downloaded and fucked around with it a little, and at first glance it seems to be nothing more than a fancier version of Microsoft Sound Recorder. It defaults to recording through the mic but I can't find an option to record what's playing through the speakers instead. Am I missing something?
    Last edited by Dolemite; 05 Jul 2006 at 05:22 PM.

Gymkata: I mean look at da lil playah woblin his way into our hearts in the sig awwwwwww

5. why not get a "Y" cable? it has a Left/Right(red/white) from one end, and a 3.5mm from the other. plug the left/right in the back of the DVD player, and the 3.5mm plug goes into the mic port of the PC. Then record the stuff with MS sound recorder or any other program.

hope that helped.

6. Quote Originally Posted by Dolemite
    Thanks. I'l give it a shot.

*EDIT* Okay, I downloaded and fucked around with it a little, and at first glance it seems to be nothing more than a fancier version of Microsoft Sound Recorder. It defaults to recording through the mic but I can't find an option to record what's playing through the speakers instead. Am I missing something?
    If nothing has changed there should be an option to record "What I hear". I have to get to work now, so I cant tell you how to get there, but have a look around.

7. Quote Originally Posted by Error
    If nothing has changed there should be an option to record "What I hear". I have to get to work now, so I cant tell you how to get there, but have a look around.
    Okay, I found it and it does exactly what I needed. You're a wiz. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by marwan
    why not get a "Y" cable? it has a Left/Right(red/white) from one end, and a 3.5mm from the other. plug the left/right in the back of the DVD player, and the 3.5mm plug goes into the mic port of the PC. Then record the stuff with MS sound recorder or any other program.

hope that helped.
    Good suggestion, but I got it covered now. Thanks anyway.
    Last edited by Dolemite; 06 Jul 2006 at 11:40 AM.

8. Run a cord from your speaker out back into your mic in lol

Quote Originally Posted by Chris
    Run a cord from your speaker out back into your mic in lol
    HIGH QUALITY!

10. IT SOUNDS LIKE I'M ACTUALLY THERE