Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 52

1. Question 52

I wasn't going to get this series, but it launched during a week when I had nothing else coming out so I checked out the first issue and I've stuck with it.

I'm enjoying it, it's like a popcorn movie in comic form, and I like the fact that it's there every week. There's about 6 or 7 different plots all going on at once, some stronger than others, but Booster Gold, Dr. Magnus, Animal Man and the Question are old favourites so it's nice to see them getting a spotlight.

I think it's been fairly strong to this point - This week's issue (#9) was the first weak issue, imo - the others have had a fair amount of detail packed in. Oh yeah, that part with the Chinese heroes was horribly stereotypical as well - I hope they never resurface.

But overall, I've been pleasantly surprised, it's a fun book, I like not having to wait a month for the next part, and I'm looking forward to seeing how all the different threads come together. Anybody else getting it?

^^ Oh yeah, Lobo's in #17
    Last edited by StriderKyo; 07 Jul 2006 at 11:47 PM.
    -Kyo

2. The chinese heroes were like the only thing I've really liked so far. What was stereotypical about it/them? They're hardly Egg Fu.

I've been reading the series and aside from the Question, the still lost space heroes, and the chinese superheroes I haven't really liked it. It's too slow for my taste, I think they need to abandon the "24" format and just let the authors pace it as it needs to be, instead of rushing the good stuff to share equal time with the mundane stuff. However while I agree this week's issue was the weakest, the revalation discovered by Adam Strange, Animal Man and Starfire seems like it'll be the best plotpoint of the series.

3. I just thought the "we must have every action approved by the huge and unweildy Chinese bureaucracy" thing was a bit much.

Are you actualy in Japan, btw? How are you following the series?
    -Kyo

4. I've been reading it. I agree that week 9 was the weakest issue so far. I've really enjoyed the book up the this point, but I'm a DC whore so that probably has a lot to do with it. The Booster Gold stuff is my favorite. I also enjoy the stuff with the Qusetion and Rene Montoya.

5. Apparently Ambush Bug shows up in the next month or two. Son of Ambush Bug and Ambush Big Summer Special was some of the funniest shit ever, so I approve of this reintroduction.
    -Kyo

6. Quote Originally Posted by StriderKyo
    Are you actualy in Japan, btw? How are you following the series?
    Hey, LOOK AT THAT! *runs out of thread*

7. I love it so far. Ever since the "blackboard revelation".

8. Quote Originally Posted by Jester
    Hey, LOOK AT THAT! *runs out of thread*
    ROFL!

9. Quote Originally Posted by StriderKyo
    I just thought the "we must have every action approved by the huge and unweildy Chinese bureaucracy" thing was a bit much.
    What made you feel this way. I too was caught off guard by the caption as well. Not because I don't believe it has no place in a DC comic such as this, rather it seemed to come out of left field and was a bit contrived. Unless, didn't they mention something about chinese heros in week three or four?

Politics have been a a theme of DC storylines since Black Adam became a dictator. The four writers may be adding more fuel to the fire.

Occasionally the story does seem padded. Specifically Montoya's and the Blank's scenes from the past few weeks. Still it is an interesting relationship and I do hope the Blank avoids death, even though his demise has been forshadowed a couple of times.

The most exciting story is Adam Strange and company stranded on a mysterious (has it been labeled?) planet. I can almost feel the Forever People or the New Gods creeping back in continuity. Grant Morrison and Cameron Stewart on New Gods anyone? I predicted (or wished for I should say) Morrison and Lee on Wild Cats over at Newsarama in 2004 so...

Anyway, if you know what's good for you frame of mind you'll check out this:

http://52-pickup.blogspot.com/

The writer manages to write with a wonderful combination of serious and humorous objectivity you might find yourself wondering whether he even enjoys the book. At the end of each 'review' he does a slight, highly enjoyable deconstruction.

Enjoy!

10. Thanks for the link. Welcome back!