Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: How do i install application on a Mac???

1. Shit. It was something like that - open this drag this drop that. I let my wife do all the Mac business.

See how easy it was?

2. Quote Originally Posted by Cheebs
    Lol. Macs are so wierd. They're like California-style wierd compared to IBMs being nice and Delaware-style normal. If a Mac were a state, you couldn't get a real cheesesteak there and they wouldn't know what a hoagie was, but there'd be plenty of sushi.
    The hell you say? I want to install an app on a Mac, I drag it to the Applications folder. I want to remove it, I drag it to the trash. I can also install it in one place, change my mind, drag it somewhere else, and still have it work. Last I checked, you couldn't do that under Windows (though they may have finally fixed that.)

So Macs, sir, as the "normal" ones. And sushi beats cheesesteak anyday.

...actually, damn... I do like cheesesteak. That's tough.
    WARNING: This post may contain violent and disturbing images.

3. Cheebs says something retarded (once again).

Whats weirder:

1. Having to click on a special installation file, which puts shit wherever it wants, adds elements to an easily broken, single-failure-point registry, can load itself at boot without your permission, can put shortcuts at 50 different places if it wants. Once it's in a specified folder it's stuck there. It's impossible to delete without going through a seperate uninstallation, which may or may not (almost certainly not) delete everything the installation put on. So you need a seperate 3rd party program to get rid of the stuff that the original get rid of stuff program didnt get rid of.

OR

1. Drag a single file into the clearly labeled Applications folder. Drag it to the trash when you are finished.

Quote Originally Posted by Cheebs
    Lol. Macs are so wierd. They're like California-style wierd compared to PCs being nice and Delaware-style normal. If a Mac were a state, you couldn't get a real cheesesteak there and they wouldn't know what a hoagie was, but there'd be plenty of sushi.
    You continue to show how ass backwards your mind works.

And Deleware is a shithole imo.

5. Quote Originally Posted by shidoshi
    I don't know how to answer this without repeating the exact words I already said.

.dmg files are Disk Images. They are "virtual" copies of, well, used to be disks, but now can be CDs, DVDs, or just mountable virtual media. .dmg files aren't installers or applications, they just hold them - I guess you could think of them like a .zip file or a folder.

Open the disk image, and look inside it. You'll know then if you have an application or an installer.

gotcha. i'm gonna have to toy around and see how it goes. thank again.

6. Anytime...

8. Is that you Teacup?

9. Quote Originally Posted by Manic Miner
    Is that you Teacup?

your mom is a Teacup.