Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: How do i install application on a Mac???

1. How do i install application on a Mac???

seriously, i borrowed a friends Mac and dont understand how installing crap works. on PC shit ends up in program files, but on the Mac im getting all .dmg installation files clutter the desktop. and last, how the fuck do i auto arrange the icons on the desktop or in the application folder?

thanks, and please spare me the TNL bitchin' and your "your mom" jokes!
    Last edited by marwan; 10 Jul 2006 at 03:08 PM.

2. Kill yourself.

3. Quote Originally Posted by marwan
    seriously, i borrowed a friends Mac and dont understand how installing crap works. on PC shit ends up in program files, but on the Mac im getting all .dmg installation files clutter the desktop. and last, how the fuck do i auto arrange the icons on the desktop or in the application folder?

thanks, and please save me the TNL bitchin' and your "your mom" jokes!
    You're just used to things being overly complicated. Drag and drop the .dmg to the Application folder. You can delete the .dmg after the install.

4. .dmg files are Disk Images. Open them, and in the Finder the mounted disk image will show up. On there will be one of two things - an application itself, or an installer. If it's an application, simply drag it to the Applications folder. If it's an installer, double-click it and run the installer. After you're done, unmount the disk image, and if you don't need it anymore, throw it away.

As for arranging stuff... seriously, just play around in the Finder a bit. It's very easy to find, and looking to find it will also help you find out other things you might not have known.

Quote Originally Posted by Six
    You're just used to things being overly complicated. Drag and drop the .dmg to the Application folder. You can delete the .dmg after the install.
    Do not at all listen to this man, because this is 100% wrong.
    WARNING: This post may contain violent and disturbing images.

lol double click the dmg.

6. Quote Originally Posted by Josh
    lol double click the dmg.
    i did dumb fuck, im just saying im left with shit load of crap on the desktop.

7. do what Shidoshi said and quit whining.
    Quote Originally Posted by Doc Holliday View Post
    K3V is awesome!

8. Quote Originally Posted by Six
    so when i drag and drop the .dmg file into the application folder will the original .dmg file stay on the desktop, or will it move it to the "application" folder? also, will dragging it into the "application" create the launch icon?

thanks!

9. Quote Originally Posted by marwan
    so when i drag and drop the .dmg file into the application folder will the original .dmg file stay on the desktop, or will it move it to the "application" folder? also, will dragging it into the "application" create the launch icon?

thanks!
    psst
    Quote Originally Posted by Doc Holliday View Post
    K3V is awesome!

10. Quote Originally Posted by shidoshi
    .dmg files are Disk Images. Open them, and in the Finder the mounted disk image will show up. On there will be one of two things - an application itself, or an installer. If it's an application, simply drag it to the Applications folder. If it's an installer, double-click it and run the installer. After you're done, unmount the disk image, and if you don't need it anymore, throw it away.

As for arranging stuff... seriously, just play around in the Finder a bit. It's very easy to find, and looking to find it will also help you find out other things you might not have known.

Do not at all listen to this man, because this is 100% wrong.
    how do i know if it's an installer or application file? do they both .dmg extensions?

also, i went to some site and i was asked to download "java virtual machine", i clicked yes to accept the download, but the file was an .exe file and refused to install after the download was complete...what's up with that?