Page 3 of 105 FirstFirst 12345717 ... LastLast

Thread: Heroes on NBC

1. WTF?

I just finished watching NBC’s highly anticipated and much talked about Heroes. When I read a preview for the show on TV.com the reviewer likened the show to Lost, but with super heroes. So far that’s a huge clumpy piece of bullshit. The show has nothing in common with lost other than an ensemble cast of relative unknowns.

In fact, Lost had people hooked in the first half hour of the first episode. Heroes didn’t have me going until the final five minutes of the show, and even then it wasn’t the five alarm nerdgasm all the hype told me I would have after watching this show. Albeit the hook at the end was awesome, and there are glimpses of good fun, but over all the show was cliché. “I just wanted to feel alive.” is the response of the mother to the young male nurse, Peter, after he asked her why she was caught shoplifting. We learn her husband of 41 years has died and blah, blah, blah… cheese is cheese. Another cheesy moment is the angsty teenage hottie who is apparently completely… well… angsty about her newfound invulnerability powers. She survives a three story fall, walks through fire and even shoves her hand in to an active garbage disposal without much hesitation. It’s all very… dulling. This is the kind of angsty cliché I expect out of an indy emo band, not a series like this.

The show also suffers from a lot of dumb-isms. Dumb-isms can be found all over TV, but for a show totted as being smart I couldn’t help notice the convenience of having a clock above the head of Hiro as he fast forwarded time through his boring train ride home. Also, Hiro (HEE-RO?) That’s not clever, it’s ham fisted. Likewise, the obvious attempt to link all the characters seems more like an afterthought in the writing than a cleverly planned event. At the end the eclipse reigns down to let us all know that every mutant is connected in some way. Small key items throughout the show link each character as well. Like Hiro’s desktop wallpaper being a dragon and later Niki Sanders’ son reading a comic book with the same cover page. Speaking of Niki Sanders, the dirty whore slut with a child just trying to get by and make something for her son has been done to death. It all seems forced, melodramatic, and easy. I guess I’m mostly just pissed that everyone was hailing this as Lost with super heroes and it wasn’t anything like that. Fuckers.

Long story short the show so far is decent at best. It didn’t rock my pants off like The Office and House did in their debuts, but I’m willing to give it a second chance next week because of the two great cliffhangers. Hopefully all of this exposition will be over with and the meat of the show will be comprehensible soon because if the show drags its feet too much I spit on its grave.
    Last edited by Drewbacca; 25 Sep 2006 at 10:42 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by rezo
    Once, a gang of fat girls threatened to beat me up for not cottoning to their advances. As they explained it to me: "guys can usually beat up girls, but we are all fat, and there are a lot of us."

2. Andrew, I agree with you on every count. I thought the whole show was just tired, poorly done cliches. That being said, I'm still going to give it a second chance next week. The premise has potential.

3. Quote Originally Posted by Andrew View Post
    over all the show was cliché.
    confirmed

4. It's the first episode of a fucking super hero show. What the jesus did you want?

5. jesus would have worked.

6. Jesus is the answer.

7. Chux is right. It's a superhero show so of course the cliche's would be in there.

I have yet to see a better show this fall.

8. Also, think of the first spiderman, first xmen, first batman, etc. They always gotta do the origins.

9. If you never read a comic. It would not have been cliched. Think of it that way. Its a show about Superheroes using characters from neither Marvel or DC. Geared towards the Mainstream.

Its not meant for you.

For comic fans. The glimmer of hope is that it will keep Comics alive or will be one of the better shows this Fall.
    I can do all things through Christ, who strengthens me.

10. i thought it was a neat outlook, they kept it kinda dark, had some decent powers or twists to powers, and some good dialougue.

for the general public it would be hard not to cliche things to get them to watch next week. this is primetime not niche. The hardest part I see is trying to do something like this and not have people blow it off as an xmen copycat, and I think it succeeded very well in doing that at least with this episode,

the japanese star trek shit had me laughing "deathu gripu" , ali larters ass is still nice esp in a thong, the painting guy was great that he only does his thing when he is totally doped out of his mind, and the indian dude kept some depth going

overall id give the debut a 7-8, and from the previews for the upcoming episodes it has room to improve, just had a lot of characters to introduce and only an hour to do it in.

mr muggles wuvs you too

edit: bonus points for showing entrails and dudes cut in half on primetime
    Last edited by D_N_G; 26 Sep 2006 at 12:41 AM.