Page 5 of 105 FirstFirst ... 34567919 ... LastLast

Thread: Heroes on NBC

1. Why is every fucking new show compared to Lost? It's annoying. That being said, I really enjoyed the pilot. Yeah, it was a bit cliche, but it reminded me of Unbreakable, with the whole realistic superhero deal. Hiro was awesome (but that is the f-chan in me speaking) and it ended with a bang. Most first episodes are a bit dull, they have to set some backstory.

2. Quote Originally Posted by animegirl View Post
    Why is every fucking new show compared to Lost? It's annoying. That being said, I really enjoyed the pilot. Yeah, it was a bit cliche, but it reminded me of Unbreakable, with the whole realistic superhero deal. Hiro was awesome (but that is the f-chan in me speaking) and it ended with a bang. Most first episodes are a bit dull, they have to set some backstory.
    Every article I read on the show compared it to Lost, including an article (I believe posted here in this thread) that talked about how Lost inspired a new wave of shows this season.
    Quote Originally Posted by rezo
    Once, a gang of fat girls threatened to beat me up for not cottoning to their advances. As they explained it to me: "guys can usually beat up girls, but we are all fat, and there are a lot of us."

3. Lost proved that big ideas can be done on TV (but honestly the stage was set but a few certain programs that came before it, most notably 24). But honestly you sound like you want Lost to fuck you up the ass Andrew.

Also, in many ways some of the cliches were neccesary in order to give these heroes a sort of superhero feel. It is when they break with these stereotypes that the show can make them more human and ultimately unique and interesting beyond a super hero show.
    your mom

4. Quote Originally Posted by Mman View Post
    Lost proved that big ideas can be done on TV (but honestly the stage was set but a few certain programs that came before it, most notably 24). But honestly you sound like you want Lost to fuck you up the ass Andrew.
    I've already, plain as day, explained the whole Lost connotation. I don't even watch Lost, BTW (and yes I have seen episodes, and they were spot on).

Also, in many ways some of the cliches were neccesary in order to give these heroes a sort of superhero feel.
    LOL. I'm pretty sure the walking through fire shit will give them a superhero feel. The cliche's are lazy/incompetent writing.

It is when they break with these stereotypes that the show can make them more human and ultimately unique and interesting beyond a super hero show.
    Well like I said, there's potential here. I might've been a bit rash with that post, but it was a knee jerk reaction to the first 1/2 of the pilot. I'm not giving up on the show and they might fix things. Maybe not, but I'm giving it more time.
    Once, a gang of fat girls threatened to beat me up for not cottoning to their advances. As they explained it to me: "guys can usually beat up girls, but we are all fat, and there are a lot of us."

5. Just watched it last night and it wasn't too bad... I think it will improve a lot over time.

Personally I think Ali Larter's character is going to end up being one of the bad guys, that's my impression from the pilot.

6. I kind of hated it. I watched Heroes out of curiosity, with no advance hype, and was left with a bucket of cliches and a "wannabe Lost" feeling. Weird plot that will take a good long while to unfold? Check! Ensemble cast connected in unexpected ways? Check! Interesting characters doing interesting things? Um... Oh well.

What I want from a superhero show is exactly what I want from anything I see on tv, and that's not to cringe at the dialogue or ask the person I'm watching it with "So this is a two-hour pilot?" only to find out I'm at the 45 minute mark. I want writing on a par with My Name is Earl or Venture Bros.

I don't need trite, predictable cliches bookended by shit philosophy I might have found meaningful in early high-school. I'm not going to bother pretending Heroes is good just because I'd enjoy seeing a superhero show that doesn't suck.

"We only use 10% of our brains. Imagine what we could do if we could harness even 1% more." Just... no. Bad tv! No cookie!

James

7. Why does everyone say it was cliche? What do you think you would do if you found out you had superpowers? Probably the same things. They are just getting started and you need some kind of character development.

8. Quote Originally Posted by Gonzo View Post
    Why does everyone say it was cliche? What do you think you would do if you found out you had superpowers? Probably the same things. They are just getting started and you need some kind of character development.

The mother with the exagerrated southern accent, tiny dog and horrible lines: cliche

The Indian guy with "heady" philosophy, a science degree, and driving a cab: cliche

The cheerleader, blonde, cute and apparently she wears her uniform everywhere: cliche

The two brothers, one a granola eater the other a politicking, capitalist prick, they're adversaries but love each other: cliche

The Japanese guy, manga lover, Star Trek nerd, office worker, "Yatta" yeller: cliche

The single mom, slut with a half breed kid she drops off at inopportune times so she can go deal with her seedy business: cliche

And of course the artist tried to kill himself; that's how artists are.

But the main problem with all these is they wouldn't be a problem with a good script. The pilot script was laughably terrible. It was full of crap lines just like what James pointed out.
    Last edited by Scourge; 28 Sep 2006 at 10:06 AM.

9. And we actually use 100% of our brains, not 10%. Well I only use 10%, but most people use 100.