Page 1 of 17 123515 ... LastLast

Thread: Previous Generation Games Weekend (Non-Next Gen Weekend)

1. Sonic Previous Generation Games Weekend (Non-Next Gen Weekend)

I am feeling a bit "shut off" this weekend and I don't really feel like hanging out with anybody. I just wanted to sit around and play games, so I decided to go through my collection of older games and play whatever looked interesting!

I am half-way through my weekend and here are some of the things I have learned.

Jet Set Radio
    + Still a good game with great style and great music.
    - Horribly unresponsive controls, awful platforming and jumping, very slow, annoying "speed up" skating. The DC analog stick sucks. The sound quality from Dreamcast is not as good as I remember it.

Jet Set Radio Future
    + Everything is rectified in this game. I can't understand why people think the first is better. This game is a masterpeice.
    - Yeah, there are some inherent flaws, but this game is still amazing in every way.

Super Monkey Ball 1/2
    + Very fun simple game. The mini-games are where the replay value is.
    - Didn't this game used to look better than this? Why did I think it was a more attractive game?

Virtua Fighter Kids
    Exactly what I remembered. Though, until I saw it on the shelf I had completely forgotten this game existed.

So that is all i have really played. I'm not trying to blow through as many games as I can, I'm actually trying to get into the games as I play them.

I'm thinking of revisiting PSO to get some frame of reference for PSU.

PS: Yeah, I didn't realize these are all SEGA games until now. I'm a closet SEGA fanbiy apparently.

Wow. You're going all the way back to the Dreamcast, GameCube and Xbox for a retro fix? At least one Saturn game, albeit a shitty one, got mentioned.

3. JSRF is one of the worst games ever made. JGR may not have aged well (and I dont have a Dreamcast to play it on), but JSRF was an abomination in every way, except for graphics. 1/10.

4. I'll go back further today.

Like I said, I just grabbed what looked interesting.

Feel free to give a shout out to what games/genres stand the test of time well.

5. Quote Originally Posted by Yoshi
    Wow. You're going all the way back to the Dreamcast, GameCube and Xbox for a retro fix? At least one Saturn game, albeit a shitty one, got mentioned.
    Seriously. I played Total Annihilation this weekend, I have gone farther back than Master. And I dont even like "retro" games.

it still rules btw.

6. Quote Originally Posted by diffusionx
    JSRF is one of the worst games ever made. JGR may not have aged well (and I dont have a Dreamcast to play it on), but JSRF was an abomination in every way, except for graphics. 1/10.
    Why? Everybody says that, but nobody every says why.

Quote Originally Posted by diffusionx
    Seriously. I played Total Annihilation this weekend, I have gone farther back than Master. And I dont even like "retro" games.

it still rules btw.
    Thread title updated. No more "retro" in the title.

Quote Originally Posted by diffusionx
    JGR may not have aged well
    Is this an assumption or have you recently played it? Jet Grind Radio hasn't aged at all in gameplay.

8. Quote Originally Posted by Master
    Why? Everybody says that, but nobody every says why.
    Well, everyone says why too, it was in a LTTP I read in neoGAF a few days ago.

I was going to explain it but NGAF sums it up.

Quote Originally Posted by GAF
    JSR = 10-15 hours of well-paced, challenging, timed missions. You're a delinquent, unlawfully vandalizing property. It makes sense you have a limited amount of time to complete your task. And you know, the law force actively chasing you while you're doing so.

JSRF = 40+ hours of zero-sense-of-urgency tagging in lifeless areas. The ONLY challenge the game presents is in reaching some of the areas to tag, since there is no timer or law force pursuing you. The only opposing forces appear during the roped-off, confined-to-a-small-space-within-a-huge-map, easy-as-shit boss battles and the arena race mini-game. Both are cakewalks... the arena mini-game being retardedly easy.

Methinks Smilebit forgot what made the first game great when designing JSRF.
    I loved how JGR completely nailed the atmosphere, it was all tied together, and the gameplay was tense. JSRF just didn't even come close.

Quote Originally Posted by NeoZeedeater
    Is this an assumption or have you recently played it? Jet Grind Radio hasn't aged at all in gameplay.
    I was saying "may" as a concession to the fact it may be aged. I have no idea, my DC broke.

9. Quote Originally Posted by diffusionx
    I loved how JGR completely nailed the atmosphere, it was all tied together, and the gameplay was tense. JSRF just didn't even come close.
    Honestly, you (and GAF) have a point. I think I differ in that I don't want a game that is tense when 90% of the time you are falling into the water because the controls are poor. I love the relaxing feel of JSRF, the great tunes, amazing atmosphere. Maybe I am alone in this, but I could play JSRF forever, whereas JSR has to be played in small bursts for me so I don't throw a controller.

To me:
    JSR -> Early Tony Hawk games when you are completing tasks against a timer (yes, I know there are no cops chasing you)

JSRF -> Later Tony Hawk games where you can just goof and free skate as much as you want for most of the game. Relaxing, yet as challenging as you make it, but never "tense" necessarily.

10. I liked JSR when I bought it, but it quickly got tired. I never liked the controls, I think that was the biggest killer for me.