Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Marvel Comics announces Halo ongoing comic!

1. Marvel Comics announces Halo ongoing comic!

Hot on the heels of the unltra-mega-successful Halo OGN (it's sold out at every book and video game store I've been to) Marvel announced an ongoing Halo series yesterday at SDCC. Here's the CBR article:

CCI, DAY 2: MARVEL COMICS ANNOUNCES "HALO" ONGOING
    by Jeremy Goldstone, Guest Contributor
    Posted: July 22, 2006
    Marvel will be producing a new "Halo" ongoing series starting the summer of 2007, according to an announcement made Friday by Marvel Editor in Chief Joe Quesada, at the Halo Graphic Novel panel, at Comic-Con International in San Diego. While the recently released graphic novel was produced by Bungie, the designers of the popular X-Box video game, while publishing duties were that of Marvel, the ongoing series will be produced and published by Marvel, with Bungie maintaining strong creative control.

“We had a lot of comic readers get into comics in the 1980s through books like “GI Joe,” and I firmly believe that “Halo” can be that book today,” Quesada said. “We really believe that it will be one of those gateway books that will open new avenues not only for us, but the people at Bungie.”

The creative team for the new series has not been named, however Quesada said readers would be, “blown away by who is writing the first arc.”

The announcement was made late in the panel, which was for the recently published “Halo” original graphic novel. Members of the panel included Quesada, Marvel marketing guru Jim McCann, writers Brett Lewis and Lee Hammock, cover artist Phil Hale and artist Jean “Moebius” Giraud. They were joined by Frank O’Connor, Brian Jarrard and Lorraine McLees of Bungie.

When asked about his work on the graphic novel, Moebius admitted he didn’t have much knowledge of the video game prior to working on the book. “I tried to do my best,” he said. “It was very difficult because I knew nothing about the video game at all. I had to learn very quickly. Sometimes I had artwork returned saying the guns are not that way or something else, so I made corrections and at the end it became that”

Quesada was asked about Marvel doing licensed comics with other video game properties. “Things like that are a case by case basis,” he answered. “The opportunity to do something with Bungie and Halo was one of those crown jewel licenses for us. You have to make sure there’s a symbiotic relationship in that both sides have mutual respect, and be mutually beneficial. While we don’t discount anything like that, we’re very picky about the stuff we do.”

When asked how the graphic novel came into existence, McLees explained, “At Bungie, we asked wouldn’t it be cool if we had a comic based on the Halo universe? It’s the thing we talk about in the office. A bunch of us are comic book fans and we have our list of people who inspired us to be who we are. A lot of it seemed to be impossible. There’s no way Moebius would do any work with us. There’s no way Geoff Darrow would do any work with us.”

An employee at Bungie had connections to the comic book world, so she tried asking the various comic book luminaries if they would participate in the project and they all said "yes."

The most important question of the night was asked by Jarrard, and directed to Quesada to Quesada: “Who would win in a fight, Master Chief or Wolverine?” Quesada answered, “How many ‘Halo’ fans are here tonight? Master Chief.”

“That’s Marvel canon now!” joked Jarrard.

http://www.comicbookresources.com/ne...em.cgi?id=7924

yawn.

3. Frank O'Connor is the man.

The Scottish man.

I can't believe the internet isn't ripe with jokes about him and the stupid shit from the Game Player days.

4. Quote Originally Posted by Yoshi
    yawn.
    Confirmed.

No one plays Halo for the story.

5. Wolverine would fuck Master Chief the fuck up.
    Quote Originally Posted by rezo
    Once, a gang of fat girls threatened to beat me up for not cottoning to their advances. As they explained it to me: "guys can usually beat up girls, but we are all fat, and there are a lot of us."

6. Wolverine's lame. Now, Speedball, on the other hand...
    OMG <3 4EVA
    Scourge:Azumanga Daioh is exactly the same thing as Ninja Scroll.
    buttcheeks: High school so weird

7. Add this to the F-chan legacy.
    "Your soul better belong to Jesus, mmm-mmmmm..... cause your ass belongs to me!"

8. How the fuck does an American comic book based on an American FPS (that bombed in Japan) qualify as 'f-chan'?

You wanna call it 'emo' while you're at it?

Oh, Commander Keyes frowned! LOL SO EMO!

9. no, what I mean is all the faqs I play on halo are gonna go bonkers when it hits newstands.
    "Your soul better belong to Jesus, mmm-mmmmm..... cause your ass belongs to me!"

10. You spelled fag wrong.