Thread: mysql indexing

1. mysql indexing

One of the last thigns I wanted to implement on my site is a rudimentary search engine. I looked it up and MySQL has a full text search solution built right-in. So I tried to set it up and saw an error that indexes are limited to 1000 bytes, and such an index would include my text block that holds the text I would write. I knocked down the size to 999 bytes and it worked, but I noticed some of the things I wrote got truncated. So I tried to raise it up and got 1000 bytes again.

I did a little bit of searching and found this is pretty much a bug. A big one, it would seem. Anyone know any ways to get around it? This is pretty much the last piece to the puzzle so if I can get it figured out (or ignore it) I can finally end this nightmare and get my website up somewhere.
    Last edited by Diff-chan; 22 Jul 2006 at 07:27 PM.

2. I've been searching my usual places, I'll let you know if any of them PHP gurus have a workaround. Can't think of anything off the top of my head, though.

3. Any word yet Calliander?

4. As somebody who doesn't know full-on programming in PHP or full-on working with MySQL, but can usually figure things out if I have pre-created code to copy, paste, and play with, how hard would such a search option be to implement?
    WARNING: This post may contain violent and disturbing images.

5. http://dev.mysql.com/doc/refman/5.0/...xt-search.html

Check that out.

It seems weird to me that you can only search entries of 1000 bytes (less than 1K). I mean, a column on an online news site is 5-6K, 1K makes it useless. Has to be some sort of flaw or Im missing something obvious.

Well hopefully the crack team here can figure something out, I am going to be super busy the rest of the week so the site takes a backseat... this shit will never get done.

6. I figured it out.

It's so dumb. But my entry text was a huge varchar. I just changed it to text. No idea how big that can be but it works now. For now.

I guess this is why I have been taking so long with this damn webcode. A lot of new stuff to me. But the programming side of my website is done, for now - the 1.0 weblog/site software I have been working towards to is complete. whoop whoop.
    Last edited by Diff-chan; 28 Jul 2006 at 10:07 PM.