Thread: AMD bought ATI for $5.6bn

1. AMD bought ATI for $5.6bn

2. I hope Nvidia continues Nforce development. ATI's motherboard chipsets are not up to snuff last i heard.

3. The latest socket 939 board by DFI had an ATI chipset on, and is thought to be superior to all the other DFI boards, which are certainly superior to all other boards for socket 939.

But Nvidia certainly do have the lead of the chipset market in general.

4. I don't know if I like this. I liked ATI and AMD as seperate companies.

This really deserves it's own thread, but:

AMD Athlon 64 X2 3800+ going for $140 now, 4400+ are going under $200. 50% price drop in a week, not bad. Might have to build my portable shuttle computer now.

5. Yeh the price drops are making me cry.
    I just bought a new opteron 165 five weeks ago for like $370, and though it's awesome at 2.9ghz, I wish I had just sold everything off, waited 5 weeks with my money and bought Conroe and done better for the same sort of price.

You ought to get AM2 though if you're buying a new system, as it's more future proof.

As for this news, I don't really know enough about businesses to comment well, but I would have thought it was probably a good thing, as if AMD owns ATI, then AMD should have more income. And if they have more income, more R&D, which means they should be able to produce better cpus and stay competitive with Intel.
    Last edited by Burky; 25 Jul 2006 at 09:23 PM.

6. Hey Burky if i want to upgrade my 3500+ right now what should i buy? Did those Opterons go down too or is the best buy something like the X2 4400?

7. On ebay the opterons are really cheap on ebay, and that's the place to buy opterons anyway as for overclocking you want processors from certain weeks of the year which do better.
    But they only represent good value for overclocking; most of them will do 2.6ghz with no problem (and they're dual core), so that's like an FX60 for a third of the price.
    If you don't overclock, they're a huge waste of money, as they run 1.8ghz naturally which is pretty lousy.

It's probably best just getting a 3800+ or a 4400+ instead I think, unless you're keen to overclock. It's really easy to do with an opteron though, where as A64 cpus are much more difficult.
    Last edited by Burky; 26 Jul 2006 at 06:19 AM.

And after they merged, nvidia stock soared.