Page 1 of 13 1235 ... LastLast

Thread: Is the Wii really going to be what we expect?

1. Is the Wii really going to be what we expect?

I didn't feel as though this added to the actual Wii news thread so I just made my own.

Is the WII really going to be what we expect?

I think its cool like anyone else that Nintendo is finally being the first guys to really tap into that user + game play interactivity. But from I’ve have seen mostly are gimmicks. Now for Nintendo’s defense, Games like Red Steel (Which reportedly is glitzy, slow moving, and not decently responsive to the users Wii remote commands), is a game that is doing exactly what I want to see. Zelda, and Metroid on the other hand, the Wii remote add on seems more the like gimmick than a new form of game play. Yes it’s cool to use the remote to shoot an arrow, or use the mic etc, and swinging the remote playing games like tennis, and maybe a voice recognition game (or a game that would use it) will be awesome.

But really now think for a moment, look at your TV. I use a 21 inch VGA monitor. That would get annoying, and old after a good while. For example, imagine playing Tennis on anything less than a 40 inch HD TV. It would SUCK period. There is no way me, and my friend could play together in a normal sized room (average bedroom), and effectively play the game the way it’s designed. 60 inch seems to be ideal here. The concepts I agree are awesome, but the demonstrations and video’s are very cinematic. Take for example the guy playing Metroid, you really wouldn’t jump out of your chair, nor would you want to wave your hand around for 5 hrs. “ But you can go back and use the regular controller”, yes I know, but then it just turns that element into a gimmick. Now games like “Dunk Hunt” would work in this setting, AS IT DID BACK IN 85.

Side Rant
    -------------
    As far as gaming, and system wise, if Nintendo makes it core franchise games like Mario, and add some new flavor franchises to it, they will be doing 10x better than the N64, and GC combined IMO. New franchises is a must! Think back to the golden era of gaming IMO, the SNES vs. SEGA days. Nintendo had its Marios, and Zeldas, but new one’s such as Star Fox, and Donkey Kong Country sprang about. Nintendo needs to do that again.

* For my defense, I’m not bashing Nintendo, and I’ve very excited about the Wii, but I have to look at it seriously for a moment.

* For some reason I feel guilty for saying this, but what Nintendo is doing, which is awesome, reminds me of what Sega was doing or trying to do with the Dreamcast. That’s just my personal take though.
    Last edited by Zerohero; 29 Jul 2006 at 06:13 PM.

2. If you expect it will be awesome, revolutionary, and industry-changing, no it will not.

If you expect it will be gimmicky, with bad third party support and motion sensing being pushed to the backburner by the 2nd year, then yes it will.

3. I love the hell out of "Dunk Hunt."

Anyrate, Wii's going to be a fantastic console to play at friends' houses. A buy for me is tied pretty directly to "are the games any good after two hours"? Everything except Zelda is looking like probably not, so far.

4. You seem to be under the assumption you have to move a lot to play these games. It's safe to say subtle movements will work fine you wont have to run around your living room.

5. Zelda you can buy on your GameCube. And from what I've read, the control isnt necessarilly better on Wii, its either "different" or "a little bit worse".

Likewise... the best Nintendo game in a long time is Super Paper Mario, coming out for GameCube.

Wii blows.

The best thing about the system right now is the virtual console, but all of us already have one of those, its called a "PC".
    Last edited by Diff-chan; 26 Jul 2006 at 11:23 PM.

6. What else is there besides Zelda and Metroid Prime 3 so far? Sonic was a must-buy once, but that hasn't been true for years. I'm still wondering hwat else there is.

7. I'm impressed what Nintendo has done with the DS, taking a chance and making a handheld different which turned out to be really fun and a success! Now they are taking a chance on the Wii buy trying to change the gameplay and the way games are controlled. I don't expect it to be mind blowing, but I do expect it to be totally different and fun as hell. If they have a smooth online service as the DS and descent sized library of games to play online it will be worth every penny.

8. Quote Originally Posted by Diff
    If you expect it will be gimmicky, with bad third party support and motion sensing being pushed to the backburner by the 2nd year, then yes it will.
    QFT.

I expect that I'll get my moneys worth if it launches at 200 bucks if only becuase the 6-8 titles over it's lifetime which will truely excite me are worth that asking price.

9. I just want to see more about Disaster. The premise is awesome, and Monolith knows how to put together a good game.

10. I dunno. I'd like to see this next console war be Nintendo's Wii vs. Microsoft's 360. I've never really liked Sony, to be perfectly honest. I'm hoping Nintendo's time being regulated to a secondary player has made it realize it's faults from generations past, as well as realize the faults of it's competitors.

I'll say right now though, while I didn't own either an N64 or GameCube, I've played enough of both to realize I like the GameCube a great deal better. Yeah, most games were 'prettier' versions of past N64 games, but to be honest, I was unimpressed with the N64. Something about the GameCube impresses me.

Though, to be honest, that 'thing' is most likely Metroid Prime.