Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Myspace music thread

1. Myspace music thread

Say what you will about the overall quality and rampant trendiness of the site, the fact still remains that Myspace is currently the most popular and simplified way to spread/promote music through the internet.

As such, this thread has been created with the intention of providing an easy method of sharing noteworthy music within the TNL community.

Please do the rest of us a favor by not polluting this thread with music from flavor-of-the-month trend-whores. As a general rule, if you feel like your chosen band has something meaningful to say with their music, then its fair-game for this thread; if that’s not the case, please just keep your clutter out of this thread. In addition to the above guidelines, do note that all genres of music are welcome, and that senseless spamming will not be tolerated. Through an understanding of--and adherence to--these policies, we can all help to make this thread an easily-accessible resource for curious listeners in search of new and worthwhile music.

To begin:

!T.O.O.H.! (A.K.A. The Obliteration of Humanity)

A spastic, recently-defunct death/grind group from the Czech Republic with a quirky vocal style, surrealistic aesthetic, and a unique structural/melodic approach.

Lykathea Aflame (A.K.A. Lykathe)

A second helping of highly spiritual, hyper-speed, Czech-based metal typified by its distinctive, middle-eastern melodies, a strong focus on interlocking drum/guitar rhythms, and an unusually schizophrenic sense of structure.

2. I hate this site, but anyways:

A Frames. None of these songs are from their most recent, insta-classic album Black Forest. Useless. These sound like crap in comparison. Best rock band in recent years, though. Mildly noisy, clanking, short, catchy, dark rock songs.

Afrirampo.

By far my favorite active bands that aren't too well covered.

3. Some lighter stuff:

At War With Self

Don't let the nu-metal name fool you; At War With Self is an interesting instrumental fusion of delicate, classical guitar melodies set alongside a growling fretless bass and several layers of sparse, electric guitar/keyboard lines. The advanced compositional style--spacious in its overarching structure yet dense to the point of sonic saturation in its individual phrases--helps to create an unnerving atmosphere, as seeds of beauty planted by the band in the early parts of the album slowly morph into more sinister sounds towards the end of the CD’s running time. In essence, “Torn Between Dimensions” represents everything that a truly progressive record should be: an exploratory effort that is still able to retain a strong sense of spirituality (thus avoiding the commonly triggered trap of self-indulgence).

Sadly, only two tracks are represented in full on At War With Self’s Myspace page, but what’s there is certainly enough music to become acquainted with some semblance of the band’s overall style.

Continuo Renacer

Intricate, instrumental metal spanning many moods and melding a jazzy rhythmic approach with a classical sense of melody and structure.
    Last edited by jyoung; 31 Jul 2006 at 01:33 AM.

4. Red Ghost - Sydney based singer-songwriter. She cites her influences as including John Fruciante, PJ Harvey and Cat Power, all of which I think are evident. Real quality stuff.

Rodrigo Y Gabriella - This is what happens when a brother sister duo of guitarists decide to ditch their metal roots and make flamenco-ish guitar music. Utterly fantastic stuff, Tamacun rocks my balls off. They often cover old rock bands like Metalica and Led Zepplin, adding their unique acoustic touch to them. They managed to reach no.1 in Irelands charts, no small feet for a music group of this nature.

5. heres a few of the groups/bands/artists I've found/like on myspace. I got a random lot of em.

Au4
    I really dig this band, the music and their artwork is a perfect match. They can go from downtempo/electronic stuff to a mellow/experimental rock sound.

bitter:sweet
    Here's another group I dig. They are nice to listen to when relaxing or having a nice drink. Plus Shana's vocals are sweet like lulling you to a more relaxed afternoon. They are kinda like a poppy/lounge/bossa nova group.

Rotator
    Heavy shit man. This guy kicks my butt all over. Rotator aka Mr. Kill aka Black ham, is this maniac from France that does breakcore/IDM/dubstep and also runs one of my favorite breakcore labels peaceoff and also record store switchrec.

evol intent
    This is a local drum n bass collective from my area. Its 3 guys and they have been doing big things world wide in drum n bass and representing the states well over seas. They do some very heavy drum n bass and shake up some dancefloors. I enjoy their music a bit even though I did have a run in with one of em over some trival shit.

6. thanx bro it's good

7. This is something I stumbled over while checkin out various myspace sites, its electronic/pop, really catchy stuff. After I found this site, I purchased all his songs off of Itunes, and his album "Hello to Love" is really worth a closer look!

www.myspace.com/datafork

Viral Marketing? Sign me up!

The Plus One Mores is my band. Download. Listen. Love.

9. Say what you will about the overall quality of wEEman33 threads and the rampant thread bumping of Doc Holliday, the fact still remains...

this may be the end of myspace?

. . .
    Last edited by Doc Holliday; 05 Sep 2010 at 02:22 AM.
    "Question the world man... I know the meaning of everything right now... it's like I can touch god." - bbobb the ggreatt