Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Working CPS2 emulator for PSP.

1. so does the emulator stretch to fill the screen, or does it actually display more of the background (like darkstalkers psp)

2. Supposedly someone released a method to downgrade from 2.5/2.6, so it is just a matter of time for 2.7. It also looks like people are starting to figure out how to hack the latest firmware as well -- read it on http://www.ps2hd.com/site/

I can't wait to get emus running on mine, just have to wait a while...

ssb
    "50,000! You scored 50,000 points on Double Dragon?"

3. Well, after months of not playing anything PSP, it finally has life again. Well, really because of Outrun Coast to Coast. Anyway...

I installed and tested the CPS1 and CPS2 emulators last night. I only got the shooters and platformers because I already know fighters control like shit with the PSP D-pad (there's a few exceptions, but for the most part, yeah...).

Anyway, as reported, the games run really well even with their default configurations, I'd say in the high 80/low 90 percentile range.

The bitch about it was putting it together. If you just go by the readme included (which is mostly in Japanese, understandably), it is very confusing, and is not exactly step-by-step. Luckily, I had help from a friend who lives for this shit. Once he walked me through the process (which is very simple, now that I have English instructions), it was smooth sailing.

Kudos to NJ! One more update on each of these emulators and they should be as close to perfection as anyone has a right to expect.

One last thing: even though I said fighters control like shit, I still love me some Super Street Fighter II Turbo. Went to the usual place to get the SSFIIT roms, but none of them worked with the emulator. I'm sure there's a romset out there that works, I just couldn't find it.

Any help here (through PM, of course) would be greatly appreciated.

4. Seems I've found an answer. I'll try when I get home and report.

5. Anyone having trouble with the PSP's d-pad should consider trying the 'Ufighterx' pad mod.. it won't magically turn your PSP into a Saturn pad, but diagonals and QCF-type motions will register.. other than the small size of the pad, I have no trouble doing 360° or other complicated motions on the post-modded d-pad.

http://www.ufighterx.com/guides/vide...pspdpadfix.htm
    Last edited by Taito; 09 Aug 2006 at 10:27 PM.

6. Quote Originally Posted by Taito
    Anyone having trouble with the PSP's d-pad should consider trying the 'Ufighterx' pad mod.. it won't magically turn your PSP into a Saturn pad, but diagonals and QCF-type motions will register.. other than the small size of the pad, have no trouble doing 360° or other complicated motions on the post-modded d-pad.

http://www.ufighterx.com/guides/vide...pspdpadfix.htm

Did anyone try that mod?
    I would try myself, but I want to wait untill I buy one of those "air cans" to blow the dust from under the screen when I put it back.

7. Great, here's hoping a 2.71 downgrader materializes soon. (so I don't have to get another system).

edit: The downgrader requires you own GTA? So much for that. I wish they'd make a UMD hack around another major game besides GTA, like Wipeout or Lumines.

Quote Originally Posted by bloodyarts
    Luckily, I had help from a friend who lives for this shit. Once he walked me through the process (which is very simple, now that I have English instructions), it was smooth sailing.
    Mind posting your instructions here for reference? Would be highly appreciated. Nice impressions, btw.
    Last edited by 1CCOSA; 11 Aug 2006 at 08:12 PM.

8. Quote Originally Posted by WTFer
    Did anyone try that mod?
    I would try myself, but I want to wait untill I buy one of those "air cans" to blow the dust from under the screen when I put it back.
    Sorry about how I worded my last post.. I tried the mod myself, and it's a drastic, night-and-day improvement.. the pad has a sturdy feel after the mod, and there hasn't been a fighting game command I've tried (from Zangief's FAB to Geese's Raging Storm) that hasn't registered consistently.. I seem to have trouble with combos, but that's more a fault of the PSP's small size.

I'm only using 2D fighting games as an example, since that's probably the best test for a digital controller's functionality. Every game I've tried that relys on the d-pad controls as well as it should, and much better than it did without the mod.

9. Was finally able to downgrade my 2.80 back down to 1.5. and got the final 1.66 rev of the emu running. I gave Progear, Mars Matrix and Giga Wing a spin. Simply put: this emulator is jaw droppingly amazing. And as someone who owns a Progear PCB, I would like to confirm how incredibly faithful the speed and emulation is. Being able to practice it on the go will be sweet.

edit: Tried 19XX on it which is TATE'able for those wondering. Unfortunately, in TATE mode fire/bomb cannot be mapped to the analog nub (like in Capcom Classics Remixed).

One real downside to the emulator itself is that in order to keep everything running fast, it automatically overclocks the cpu to 333 (adjustable) which of course drains the battery quicker.
    Last edited by 1CCOSA; 16 Jan 2007 at 06:14 AM.

10. I've had Progear and Mars Matrix (my favorite Shmup ever) on my PSP since Christmas when I did a successful 2.80 -> 1.5 downgrade, along with Metal Slug 1, X, and 3 on NJ's other emulator, MVSPSP. There's some slowdown on the Neo-Geo games, but the CPSII emulation is incredible.

Now I'm on 3.03 OE-B, so I'm enjoying Einhander and R-Type Delta in addition to the CPS/MVS stuff.