Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Windows XP Pro

Windows XP Pro

I got my laptop in the mail. I can't really decide on a version of xp pro as I don't understand all these student packages and Google isn't helping me at all.

As far as I can tell there is a xp pro upgrade, xp pro commercial, xp pro oem, and xp pro 64 bit.

I think 64 bit is not for me as it sounds like it is only good for utilizing a retarded amount of memory.

heres some of what I'm looking at

Windows XP Professional with SP2 OEM Promo

http://www.viosoftware.com/Windows+X...OEM+Promo.html

http://www.9software.com/Windows_XP_...htm&Click=5673

Windows XP professional upgrade

http://elms09.e-academy.com/msstate/...FTOKEN=6621739

I fully realize this thread is kind of stupid. But I really need to get the right thing, right now, asap, for as cheep as possible.

If anyone can part this sea of bullshit sales jargon for me, I'd be very grateful

2. Anyone that actually buys Windows is a sucker.

"I can only say that there is not a man living who wishes more sincerely than I do to see a plan adopted for the abolition of slavery." - Tommy Tallarico

3. Upgrades suck, as you can only use them to 'upgrade' from past versions of windows. OEM version of XP Pro is probably your best bet. OEM means it's only designed to be installed on a new PC, but MS really doesn't care about that rule. Using an OEM full version means that you'll have to install Windows clean, which also means you may have to reinstall the drivers for your computer. So try to get the drivers for your computer's parts before you do it.

Or you could just go to a torrent website. That's what most students seem to do. In this case, look for "XP Pro Corporate Edition w/SP2".

4. Doesn't OEM mean it's barebones from another manufacturer? It's normal XP Pro but without the box and shit.

Quote Originally Posted by andyrose
    Or you could just go to a torrent website. That's what most students seem to do. In this case, look for "XP Pro Corporate Edition w/SP2".
    eh, I actually want a legal copy for school work. It just isn't wise to use hacked copies of software to make money. I know the chances are very very slim but I don't want to get fucked later over this.

6. My last two girlfriends had perfectly legal copies of XP that were found by Windows Update to not be genuine. After a couple of reinstalls, you have to call Microsoft to get your shit sorted out because they assume you're using a hacked version anyway. Fuck them.

I still love Zboz.

"I can only say that there is not a man living who wishes more sincerely than I do to see a plan adopted for the abolition of slavery." - Tommy Tallarico

I can't decide what surprises me more, you dating girls or you dating at all.

8. Ive never had a problem with my legit Windows XP.

With all the DRM work MS is doing nowadays (WGA, authentication, checking before security updates, etc.), its becoming a bigger pain in the ass to pir8 it than use it. Just get the OEM version.

9. Quote Originally Posted by buttcheeks
    I think 64 bit is not for me as it sounds like it is only good for utilizing a retarded amount of memory.
    What? Do you not know what 64-bit is referring to? Do you even have a 64-bit CPU?
    Well that's like, your opinion, man.

Yes, I reserched it. I just didn't feel like writing TNL a book on something I obviously don't need. No I do not own a 64 bit processor.

The "retarded" memory ammount was a refrence to the system memory. Windows xp 32 bit is limited to about 4GB while x64 is something like 128 GB of physical memory and 16 TBs of Virtual memory.

Now, wouldn't it to be fair to say that I don't need that for my school work, since A) I do not have a 64 bit Processor, and B) I probably won't be using any programs that need that kind of power?