Page 15 of 607 FirstFirst ... 1113141516171929 ... LastLast

Thread: Music Gear Discussion

1. Quote Originally Posted by Scourge View Post

Synth:

Alesis Micron Analog Modeling Synth:

I really, really love this thing. Unfortunately, I still don't know the ins and outs of programming stuff on it.
    That looks fucking slick - I've got my eye on an Ion, but I'm not sure if it's worth the dough since I'm not certain what it can do that Logic can't with regard to modelling. If you don't mind my asking, how much did you get the Micron for?
    -Kyo

2. I'm pretty sure they run about the same as a MicroKorg, so between 3-4 hundred, new. As I understand it, they're the Alesis version of the MicroKorg.
    Boo, Hiss.

3. They're about $450-500 new depending on where you go, I was just wondering if he got a deal. I think it's a higher quality box than the Microkorg, but it dosesn't have a vocoder (which isn't a huge deal unless you're itching to be the next Cher).
    -Kyo

4. Do you believe in life after love? You will after fucking around with a vocoder.

I had a MicroKorg a few years back when they were new. I loved it, but I needed some cash once in a bad way.
    Boo, Hiss.

The microkorg has little keys, and less things you can do once you start creating your own patches. I have a Micron, and I love it.

6. Quote Originally Posted by StriderKyo View Post
    That looks fucking slick - I've got my eye on an Ion, but I'm not sure if it's worth the dough since I'm not certain what it can do that Logic can't with regard to modelling. If you don't mind my asking, how much did you get the Micron for?
    $399.99

Quote Originally Posted by icarusfall View Post
    As I understand it, they're the Alesis version of the MicroKorg.
    No, they're not. They're the micro version of the ION.

From Alesis:

The Micron boasts the same sound engine as the acclaimed Alesis Ion in a compact 3-octave keyboard, offering breakthrough analog realism, high-resolution control, and tremendous value. The Micron is compatible with Ion programs and holds over 1,000 programs and multitimbral setups.
    And yeah, the keys are twice as big as the keys on the microKorg.

Now, I absolutely LOOOOOOOVE my micron, but I have my eye on a Korg
    MS2000B which I've seen for $600.

But I don't really need a second synth at this time. If you want the Alesis ION for less, get the Alesis Micron.

7. Oh, and my Vox combo amp modeller has great tone. You have to ask yourself a couple of questions:

1) Are you just starting to get into playing live music or are you a seasoned player?

2) Are you a working musician or just fucking around?

3) How much money you got?

I'll upgrade my shit when/if my son really blows the top off of this early stage he's in and incrementally upgrade from there.

And I'll add one more thing to the modelling/combo amp discussion:

Orange Crush 30R, $199.99:

Quote Originally Posted by Destin View Post
    Actually, if you feel like elaborating about those parts you thought I might not care about, that would be awesome. Once I understand how something works, I have a better idea of how to use it.
    I'll have to give you a rain check on this. I have a lot on my plate this and next week.

9. Quote Originally Posted by StriderKyo View Post
    They're about $450-500 new depending on where you go, I was just wondering if he got a deal. I think it's a higher quality box than the Microkorg, but it dosesn't have a vocoder (which isn't a huge deal unless you're itching to be the next Cher).
    You don't have to use vocorders just for vocals. I enjoy using em to make ambience background noise or to twist up some synths and drums. I could spend hours messing with sound with just NI vokator.

10. 1) It is a higher quality box than the microKorg.

2) It does have a vocoder.