Page 2 of 607 FirstFirst 1234616 ... LastLast

Thread: Music Gear Discussion

1. Quote Originally Posted by Jed
    Holy shit, those Effector 13 pedals are awesome! I can't believe I've never heard of them before.
    Have you ever checked out Death by Audio? http://www.killerrockandroll.com/dea...io/pedals.html Some of the custom built ones are really cool.
    DBA pedals are rad, though I've heard that their output is fixed to give a massive boost, which is cool for some, but I like to mix my sound up mid song and would rather a consistant volume. Still, would love to try some of their shit.

If you're into insane boutique pedals, You should check out Metasonix. Way to expensive for me, but you get a fucking shitload of crap in each pedal. http://www.metasonix.com/

What little shit I have so far.

THE AMP:

National Westwood Model # N 6416T
    I got it for $65.00 at a pawn shop over in Boonville (lol out in the boonies). It's kind of funny because I owned it for like a year before I figure out that it would distort. No one I lived in with at the time would let me play it past 5. But one day when everyone was gone I cranked it and played a chord. Man, this thing will bark. I've seen this same amp on ebay with reverb sale for like 750. The word on the street is that Eric Clapton used on some his earlier albums too. It's my baby.

Pedals:

I'm not really a big fan of pedals. They tend to suck tone or merely pretend to something a real amp can do on its own. Or they cost a lot. Or they don't play well with other pedals or something other crap.

However, one pedal I do have, that I probably will not sell is my Roger Mayer Page-1. Roger Mayer is the man who modded Jimmy Hendrix’s and Jimmy Page's fuzz boxes. Knowing that I bet you can guess what the story on this fuzz is.

I don't really use the fuzz much though. I haven't quite found its sweet spot yet (for those not in the know, fuzzes distort just like tube amps do. It is all about the volume settings. The sweet spot is where you can control the distortion just right with your "attack" and volume knobs of the guitar.)

I got this thing a 100 under retail.

Tuner:

simple little qwik tune. It isn't worth a shit for tuning while playing live but it does what I need it to. Most of the time.

Guitar:

Shitty mcshit shit himself or the tank, you be the judge. It's a heavy as fuck nock off Stratocaster. Generic no name pick ups. Got like ten years ago at SAMS (back when it was just sams, and not faggy omg sams club)

Tubes:

Spare tubes and a beat counter I have

Last edited by Fe 26; 09 Aug 2006 at 02:13 AM.

3. Hot Wire-wrap action!

It amazes me that this old stuff actually worked as well as it did.

I worked on a Leslie Electronic Organ Speaker in high school, it was much like this, and yet amazing in how well it worked.
    “The very existence of flame-throwers proves that some time, somewhere, someone said to themselves, you know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done.” -George Carlin

4. You guys have awesome gear. I'm too broke to buy my own shit so I borrow extras from an old guitar partner. =( I'll post up my guitars and shit practice amp later.

For bass players, I have a Peavy bass head for giveaway/sale. I'll post up the model of it later since I currently use it just to prop my towel up. =X

5. Man, that National amp is the sweetness. Its a shame you're playing that guitar through it though. At least get an Epiphone or something.

Quote Originally Posted by Wildkat
    It amazes me that this old stuff actually worked as well as it did.
    It isn't really that big of a thing. I think they get away with that spegatti shit by grounding things just right and using high voltlages/amps/whatever. However the signal coming off the guitar is quite small so the first few connections in the signal path have to be either kept far away from everything else or done with shielded wire. The smaller the signal, the easier it is for other things to fuck with it.
    Last edited by Fe 26; 09 Aug 2006 at 03:19 PM.

7. Anybody know anything about Ampeg bass amps? And SWR bass amps.

I played on an Ampeg ba115 today and was really impressed for the price and considering it's not all that powerful.

I also played on a Fender Bassman 250 which kind of underwhelmed me, but I'm not a bassplayer, I don't know too much about this stuf, and I didn't play it too long, so maybe it's a hell of a lot better than it felt. It just seemed to not get very loud.

Then I played on an SWR WorkingMan's 15 and was blown away by how huge the sound was. But these are discontinued and the new line is called WorkingPro, so I'm curious about them.

8. Quote Originally Posted by Scourge
    Anybody know anything about Ampeg bass amps? And SWR bass amps.
    I know nothing about SWR, but I firmly believe Ampeg makes some of the best amps around. I swear, nearly every single band I've seen in the last couple years, the bass players have been using Ampegs. I've seen quite a few bands around town using these amps and they sound great.

9. Here's what I use. Not too bad. But can be called nothing compared to what some of you have. It's all over my house so I had to take pics everywhere.

Guitars:

Fender Fat Strat -
    Probably one of the best guitars I've ever played. Slick fretboard and the tex mex pickups are awesome. Has a good balance of everything you'd want in a quality guitar.

Ibanez Gio 7-String - Not the best guitar but I got it for a steal. Nice range and pretty good sound. I'm planning on getting rid of it.

Fender Electric Acoustic CE-300 - This is an awesome hybrid. I play some acoustic stuff and this guitar has always been an easy play. Strings arent positioned too far from the fretboard and it has a great sound.

Pedals:

Dunlop GCB-95 Cry Baby -
    Simple but nice wah wah pedal. Good tone bender.

Boss DS-1 Distortion - Everyone should already know about this pedal.

Arion Tubulator Fuzz - Great fuzz pedal that emulates amp tube distortion. I like it for playing older rock stuff (of coarse).

Danelectro Cool Cat Chorus - Nice chill chorus effects. Probably one of the best I've ever heard and/or used.

Danelectro Fab Metal -
    Looks like a little piece of shit, but it actually has a really deep distortion thats heavy enough to play the good metal stuff but doesnt over-do it.

Danelectro Fab Tone -
    Good classic fuzz pedal. It's kinda like the Tubulator I have but like 100x better. Its messed up right now too.

I also have a DOD Analog Echo pedal but its messed up bad. DOD pedals have cheap on/off stomps.

Amp:

Behringer BG412F Ultrastack 4x12 Cab -
    Nice sound. I mean really nice. I have enjoyed this cabinet a hell of a lot since I got it back in April.

Behringer LX1200-H V-Ampire Head - This thing is the shit. It comes with tons of built in effects and amp styles. I think 48 in all. Some of them I don't like that much, but some you wonder how they can make that work so well when its just built into an amp head, as opposed to a good pedal. Simply awesome.

Anway like I said some of the stuff some of you have beats the hell outta this but I like my shit and it works for me .

Quote Originally Posted by Razor Ramon
    For bass players, I have a Peavy bass head for giveaway/sale. I'll post up the model of it later since I currently use it just to prop my towel up. =X
    First dibs.

Model number pls.