Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Grrrrl Gamerz

1. Grrrrl Gamerz

So, in spite of the retarded thread title, I thought I'd post this interview because it's one of the few (only?) articles on the subject I've read that isn't terrible. Because most videogames + girls articles are utter crap. In truth, it's really more about non-gamers in general, I think, rather than just girls (but of course girls make up a large portion of people that don't play games).

Nothing really new here, but it's pretty concise and kind of ends up epitomizing the directon videogames seem to be headed in pretty well.

http://www.pingmag.jp/2006/08/25/gam...nder-by-babsi/

Some highlights:

Quote Originally Posted by article
    A deliberately stylised game such as Loco Roco will look fresh also after years whereas interactive tech demos like Halo will look old-fashioned as soon as the technological standards of CG have risen again.
    It is fascinating that cultural texts deriving from a totally different society can have such a universal appeal. I think this is because Japanese game designers seem to approach the game making process from a more human and emotional perspective.
    Non-competitive videogames are a novelty in the West and I think many players are becoming tired of the rigid notion of direct competition, high-scores and zero-sum losers.
    As long as technology is ideologically linked to the expertise of males there will be a certain obstacle for other gaming demographics like females and older people.
    Girls are not against violence, but against pointless repetition and boredom.
    Discuss?

2. T, F, F (well the second part is T), F, F

So do you and Compass consider yourselves grrrrls or is that too FPSish for your feminine tastes?

4. So... Let's all generalize what females should like in a game. Yeah, I play a few puzzle games and Loco Roco makes me laugh, but I still play Halo 2 more than anything. You have a vagina and you play games, congratulations. Don't write a book about it.

I <3 Nomi

6. I <3 vaginas.

7. Quote Originally Posted by Nomi
    So... Let's all generalize what females should like in a game.
    Let's also generalize what females don't like, such as how women are exploited as overdeveloped sex-objects for the male demographic just because japan's tastes cross the line with their economy being overly perverted.
    Last edited by voltz; 26 Aug 2006 at 05:47 PM.
    "Your soul better belong to Jesus, mmm-mmmmm..... cause your ass belongs to me!"

Quote Originally Posted by voltz
    for the male democratic
    That's demographic. They have to give us overdeveloped girls so that fuckers that can't spell can pretend they'll eventually get some.

9. Quote Originally Posted by Nomi
    So... Let's all generalize what females should like in a game. Yeah, I play a few puzzle games and Loco Roco makes me laugh, but I still play Halo 2 more than anything. You have a vagina and you play games, congratulations. Don't write a book about it.
    "You have a vagina and you play Halo 2, congratulations."

Did you read the article though? I mean, I agree with you but she says as much.

Quote Originally Posted by lady
    However, there can never be any generalisation: it is not possible to talk about THE Japanese, or THE girls or THE videogame. I think personal taste, mood, age etc are much more important factors for game preference than anything else.

And that last quote removes any reason for the article to exist, proving Nomi correct.