Page 1 of 31 123515 ... LastLast

Thread: Game-of-the-Year-to-Date

Megaman Game-of-the-Year-to-Date

We're closing in on the 2/3 complete mark in 2006, and it seems to have been a relatively weak year up to this point for game releases. Up to this point, what would be your Game-of-the-Year? What is on the horizon that could usurp that title?

Here are my picks:

GotYTD: Dead Rising (Capcom, 360) - This is the only game on the 360 that is both exclusive and truly next gen. I love the fact that it encourages several replays but that it also can make said replays significantly different experiences. Animating this many enemies on the screen has been done in trash games like Dyntasy Warriors and Ninety Nine Nights, but Capcom, as usual, shows how it should be done. I think Dead Rising has a strong chance to retain this spot at year-end.

Runner-up: The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion (Bethesda/2K, 360/PC) - Like the mall in Dead Rising, Oblivion's Tamriel is truly alive. Events occur even when you can't see them. To me, that is what next gen is all about. A gothic horror game using Oblivion's engine and Bethesda's storytelling might be a best game ever candidate.

The Challenger: Yakuza (Sega, PS2) - I'm sure Okami will be a cute little game, but there has never been a Zelda-ish game that deserves to even be mentioned in the same sentence as something like Oblivion. It's like a finger painting being hung next to a DaVinci. The PS2's last hoorah is Yakuza. If everything lives up to its potential, a Grand Theft Auto progeny with better gameplay, better voice acting, and no exercise bikes should send out the last generation with a bang.

2. I can't argue with these picks.

3. I havent really played much from 2006. Oblivion is not a GOTY candidate in my opinion.

I also dont think Yakuza is a GTA-style game any more than Shenmue is. But then again I haven't played it.

4. Final Fantasy XII, please.

5. is Yakuza out over here yet?

6. Quote Originally Posted by Rocca
    Final Fantasy XII, please.
    BANHAMMER!
    "Your soul better belong to Jesus, mmm-mmmmm..... cause your ass belongs to me!"

7. Quote Originally Posted by Diff-chan
    I also dont think Yakuza is a GTA-style game any more than Shenmue is. But then again I haven't played it.
    Yakuza is more GTA than it is Shenmue.

I haven't played Dead Rising and a few other games.

Oblivion is GOTY so far but I must say that my opinion of the game did go down a few notches when I realized the extent of the scaling(which wasn't until I put many hours into it so I feel kind of stupid). It makes it less frustrating but it also kind of defeats the purpose of an RPG. Some fan mod will eventually overhaul this.

Runner up: I would say OutRun 2006 but it's more an update than a new game. Dreamfall(why didn't all you bastards buy this?) and New Super Mario Bros. are contenders.

Challengers?

Okami, Twilight Princess, FFXII(Western RPGs lately have been killing JRPGs but this does look amazing).

Yakuza looks cool but the demo wasn't that great and brought my anticipation down. Hopefully it will still deliver.

I'm sure I'm forgetting other games since I just woke up.

9. Quote Originally Posted by NeoZeedeater
    Yakuza looks cool but the demo wasn't that great and brought my anticipation down. Hopefully it will still deliver.
    The demo just sort of showed the different kinds of gameplay, but not how they come together. I wasn't impressed with it, but my expectations for the finished game are still high.

10. Dead Rising for me. I doubt anything will beat it. If something does beat it, I think it will be a 360/PC game. Okami looks pretty, but I'm not really into Zelda type games. I think Yakuza will be a decent game, but not a game of the year candidate.

edit: After reading NZE's post, I agree that Dreamfall and New Super Mario Bros. deserve mention. I'd still pick Dead Rising though.
    Last edited by elfneedsfood; 20 Aug 2006 at 11:07 AM.