Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Will Apple make a Mac for me?

1. Will Apple make a Mac for me?

I was thinking of getting a Mini but it's too mini. The iMac has the computer stuck inside the screen, which I'm sure seemed like a great idea at some conference or meeting - A great laugh until you try to upgrade it. The Mac Pro is more than I need. I don't want a laptop. And that's all the options we get.

Does Apple have any plans I don't know about to make a PC that's like a regular PC, and isn't a little un-upgradeable gaybox or an overpowered workstation? Like a not-so-mini Mini let's say?

2. No.

3. Schlep speaks the truth. If you want the box build, you get a pro tower, the end.

4. Apple was never into the open market business like the personal computer. Once you get it, you stick with what they gave you. The end.
    "Your soul better belong to Jesus, mmm-mmmmm..... cause your ass belongs to me!"

5. Apple is a lot like Honda. They have their specific models, take it or leave it.

6. I don't exactly want a PC tower. I'd just like a tidy computer (with a good operating system) that doesn't have to be thrown away in a couple of years. I'd try Linux on a PC, but Linux is bent. I thought about Linux on a G4 Macintosh, to avoid the inevitable hardware incompatibilies of Linux, but I'd rather not buy used, old hardware.

7. Why would you have to throw it away in a couple years?

8. Seriously. I've had my current desktop for 5 years, and it runs perfectly, just like it did the day I got it. It may not have the best current technology in it, but it still runs like a champ.
    Quote Originally Posted by BerringerX
    I am pretty sure one of the reasons Jesus died is so we could enjoy delicious chicken and waffle fries seven days a week.
    Eat a bag of dicks.

9. I'd expect it might begin to creak under the added pressure of newer versions of OSX, which would be designed primarily for the newer models. I don't like a lean operating system without all the unnecessary visual splendour, or if not then I'd like to have enough RAM and video memory to handle it.

I wouldn't mind that at all if the RAM was easily and widely expandable like with the Mac Pro. But the Mac Pro can take 16GB of RAM, or something like that and I don't need that much. By the time 16GB becomes the desktop standard everything else about the machine would be totally obsolete. Yet the maximum RAM on the iMac is only 2GB. 16GB - 2GB: There's a 14GB hole there that another model would fit nicely into. I'll have that one whenever they decide to release it.

10. Quote Originally Posted by Mikey
    I'd expect it might begin to creak under the added pressure of newer versions of OSX, which would be designed primarily for the newer models. I don't like a lean operating system without all the unnecessary visual splendour, or if not then I'd like to have enough RAM and video memory to handle it.

I wouldn't mind that at all if the RAM was easily and widely expandable like with the Mac Pro. But the Mac Pro can take 16GB of RAM, or something like that and I don't need that much. By the time 16GB becomes the desktop standard everything else about the machine would be totally obsolete. Yet the maximum RAM on the iMac is only 2GB. 16GB - 2GB: There's a 14GB hole there that another model would fit nicely into. I'll have that one whenever they decide to release it.
    2gb should be more then enough ram for what you need, anything beyond then you really just do want a workstation. btu from the sound of it you want itunes and myspace. just get a macbook.Macs arent very upgradeable period, so if tha doessnt bode well go PC.