Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Bandai and Mangle Hate Fansubs: Would you still watch anime without them?

1. Quote Originally Posted by Rtificial
    As for me, I was watching anime WAY before you can even DL fan subs. I used to DL a series or two if they were really interesting to me, so I could check em out. But I haven't done that in a long time. What I think really increased anime/manga's fan bases was Toonami and more tv stations having anime blocks. If you don't believe me goto your local online anime chat rooms and count the names of sn's from tv anime.
    QFT. How many people only know Gundam Wing.

2. Quote Originally Posted by Rtificial View Post
    If they didn't come out with that un-cut box set, I'd probably re-download em all just to make a protest. I think a good protest to companies like funimation and viz who sell cut/censored, hardly no extras and 1 language dvd's as the only option in the US, is to DL the fan sub. That way you will hit em where it hurts. That is unless you can rally up enough hate mail like people did Disney with the Miyazaki dvd's.
    IT's not Viz and Funi that you have to worry about. Both did their part and released their originals on DVD.

...it's fucking 4Kids and Geneon. One Piece and Viewtiful Joe US ftl

(Also, Viewtiful Joe cartoon ftl in general.)

3. I had high hopes for VJ as an anime. Great artstyle, funny characters,etc..

Then it comes out and .....uh

4. Quote Originally Posted by shidoshi View Post
    America has some of the cheapest prices in the world when it comes to anime - we've got NO PLACE to bitch.
    I know, we'd talked about this in a thread earlier on. We definitely have it better than our eastern friends, but even so, it's enough for many people, even enthusaists, to look for cheaper or free means to get their anime.

It all boils down to when they can get it to us. We also talked earlier about how licenses are sat upon, allowing time for superior fansubs to take root.

A great way to solve this problem is also what I suggested earlier, a shonen jump style channel where U.S. publishers air newly subbed anime as little as a week after the original Japanese air date. Charge a subscription fee and there you have it, a no doubt sure to be popular method of seeing your new anime.

5. My problem, and this started years earlier with live action Asian stuff, when Miramax would buy a film such as Shaolin Soccer, ban all versions of it across the world and then make us buy their version in the US if we wanted to see it.

I think copyright should allow the US version to be locked down, but it should have no rights over the Japanese version. I mean I can still go on Playasia or yesasia or whatever and buy the import Japanese DVD of the movie when it comes out.

I for one would have no where near the love of anime that I do without fansubs and also I am not gonna wait for 5 years to see episode 170 of Naruto when the Japanese got to watch it on TV for free (cable costs of course), uncut years before. Sorry but Naruto on Toonami eats ass. The dubs suck and so do the cuts.

Remember that most of these animes are TV shows that are watchable on Japanese TV for a simple cable subscription, yet they come over hear and get us for 30 bucks for 3 episodes. Fine you want to make some money, so make it. But fansubbing Japanese shows years before they hit the US should not be a problem. I mean lock the stuff down, but it pissed me off when Naruto was licensed and all of a sudden I'm supposed to stop watching the show and wait how many years to see wtf happens next. Lame.

ssb
    "50,000! You scored 50,000 points on Double Dragon?"

6. Yeah, MTV pulled that lockdown shit on Volcano High. I had to buy a damn pirated copy to watch it at a convention. I don't even want to know how bad the US version was. If it's anything that nobodyknows+ has taught us is that Japanese + Hip Hop = lol
    ...except M-Flo. They're classy.

7. Quote Originally Posted by ChaoofNee View Post
    IT's not Viz and Funi that you have to worry about. Both did their part and released their originals on DVD.

...it's fucking 4Kids and Geneon. One Piece and Viewtiful Joe US ftl

(Also, Viewtiful Joe cartoon ftl in general.)
    Viz is known to alter/censor its manga, I'm not sure about its anime licenses cause I've not bought any viz anime. Funimation started out on the wrong foot with how it handled things, but they actually put out some nice dvd's now.

8. Viz at least went the right way about censoring Jojo. The creator actually redrew the panel they didn't like. I don't mind that.

...besides, there's no consistent scantranslations for it.

9. Man, fuck Manga Entertainment in particular. Idiots don't even publish manga and sat on the Gunbuster license for years without doing a thing.

In a serious note, though, if it wasn't for fansubs, I wouldnt've been able to see or like or even know half the stuff I like. This is just a big case of both companies saying "MONEY MONEY MONEY! WE LIKE MONEY! WE LIKE BEING THE ONLY SAY IN THINGS AROUND HERE!"

It's crap like that that makes me even less likely to buy their stuff just to spite them.

10. That's how the economy works, yeah.