Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: good books on the $$$

1. good books on the $$$

Just wanted to see what the money-minded have read. I read both the Millionaire Next Door and Millionaire Mind, VERY good shit. I'll talk more about this later but wanted to just break in TPP.

2. One of my friends loves a book called "Rich Dad, Poor Dad". He wanted me to go to one of the authors seminars, but it never happened.

3. "Smartest Guys in The Room" is supposedly to be a really good read if you want to learn about how the Enron guys orchestrated the biggest fraud in history. Also, checking your latest issue of The Economist is always a good source for recommendations on business related reading material.
    Time for a change

4. rich dad, poor dad is just a another cash flow management book. there is even a board game to go with it.

the main thing most of these cash flow mgmt books teach you is to buy real estate, then rent real estate, then buy more real estate with the profits, loop

but then that means you are the landlord and you have to deal with the tenants/businesses.

plus its hard to find good real estate at a great price that will actually make you $ when you are starting off. most people doing this spend many many months of effort for a 50 dollar a month profit and then give up. of course, like anything, you could get lucky and make a killing

so if those things are up your alley then spend the $ on the cash flow stuff

I would suggest getting some stock market basics books, and learn how to read charts, then do some daytrading research. you can do smart investing and dont have to worry about taking care of other people

5. Im not really asking for advice guys... more like, what you read and found useful/applicable. Since many of us are young professionals it might be good. The billions of starving artists here can keep out.

6. A Beginners Guide to Day Trading by Toni Turner

Rich Dad is good too then to help see the "money-minded" mindset. http://www.richdad.com/

had two dads - a rich one and a poor one.

One dad was highly educated and intelligent; he had a Ph.D. and had completed four years of under-graduate work in less than two years. He then went to Stanford University, the University of Chicago, and Northwestern University to do his advanced studies. All on full, financial scholarships.

My other dad never finished the eighth grade.

Both men were successful in their careers, working hard all their lives. Both earned substantial incomes.

Yet one dad struggled financially all his life and the other dad would become one of the richest men in Hawaii.

One died leaving tens of millions of dollars to his family, charities, and his church. The other left a legacy of unpaid bills.

Both men were strong, charismatic, and influential. Both men offered me advice, but they did not advise the same things.

Having two dads as advisors offered me the perspective of contrasting points of view: one of a rich man and one of a poor man. The problem was that my rich dad was not yet rich, and my poor dad not yet poor. Both were just starting out in their careers; both were struggling with money and families.

But, regardless of those facts, both had very different points of view on the subject of money.

One dad would say, "The love of money is the root of all evil." The other, "The lack of money is the root of all evil." Having two dads - and loving them both - forced me to think about, and ultimately choose, a way of thinking for myself.

I had to think about each dad's advice and, in doing so, gained valuable insights into the power and effect of one's thoughts on one's life. For example: My poor dad had a habit of saying, "I can't afford it." My rich dad forbade those words to be used. He insisted that I say, "How can I afford it?" One is a statement, the other a question. One lets you off the hook; the other forces you to think. My rich dad would explain that by automatically saying the words "I can't afford it" your brain stops working. By asking the question "How can I afford it?" your brain is put to work.

My rich dad did not mean 'buy everything you wanted.' He was, though, fanatical about exercising your mind – the most powerful computer in the world. My rich dad said: "My brain gets stronger every day because I exercise it. The stronger it gets, the more money I can make." He believed that automatically saying "I can't afford it" was a sign of mental laziness.

Although both dads worked hard, I noticed that my Poor Dad had a habit of putting his brain to sleep when it came to money matters. My Rich Dad, on the other hand, made a habit of exercising his brain. The long-term result was that one dad grew stronger financially and the other grew weaker.

Being a product of two strong dads allowed me the luxury of observing the effects that different thoughts have on one's life. I noticed that people really do shape their lives through their thoughts.

The power of our thoughts may never be measured or appreciated, but it became obvious to me as a young boy that there was value and power in being aware of my thoughts and how I expressed myself. I noticed that my poor dad was poor not because of the amount of money he earned – which was significant – but because of his thoughts and actions. As a young boy having two fathers I became acutely aware of being careful in deciding which thoughts I chose to adopt as my own and to whom should I listen – my rich dad or my poor dad?

At the age of nine I decided to listen to and learn from my rich dad about money. In doing so, I chose not to listen to my poor dad – my real dad – even though he was the one with all the college degrees.

Cllick link to read on...

Dad Differences: http://www.richdad.com/about_richdad...difference.asp

The cash flow books are all good and fun and suck you in, then you realize if its for you or not. They only really deal with Real Estate, so keep that in mind.

Edit: I did read the Rich dad book and even listened to a seminar and podcats.
    Last edited by D_N_G; 24 Aug 2006 at 10:30 AM.

lol, I think I already own 2/3 of the books brought up so far.

=/ I've never really liked the entire get rich in real estate thing. I think making your money that way is a tad shitty, especially for people who triple their money. Housing is one of those must haves, kind like food, so I feel price gouging on it is immoral.

I'm probably going to get owned for saying that, but whatever. That's how I feel about it.

8. Quote Originally Posted by Diff-chan
    I read both the Millionaire Next Door and Millionaire Mind, VERY good shit.
    If you need a book to tell you that the key to amassing large quantities of money is to spend as little as possible, then maybe you're beyond help.

9. Edit, you want a money book

Try "The Richest Man in Babylon" I read it on a plane trip, excellent imho.

http://shopping.msn.com/prices/shp/?...ptnrData=24001
    Last edited by Othello Harrington; 30 Aug 2006 at 09:56 AM.

10. I heard that was pretty good.