Thread: Hyper Duel

Saturn Hyper Duel

I consider myself pretty well versed in the Saturn and its global library. However, a game by the name of Hyper Duel snuck by me somehow. I am a huge fan of Tecno Soft's ThunderForce series, so when I read that they had another horizontal shooter out there on the Saturn, I did some digging. The game looks great with large sprites. However, it also carries about a $100 price tag on ebay. Has anyone played this? Is it worth that kind of scratch?

2. Yeah, and it's pretty awesome (the little bit that I did play). As to whether it's worth 100 dollars to you, it depends on what other games are worth to you. I think it's better than all the TF games, FWIW
    Last edited by Joust Williams; 26 Aug 2006 at 08:05 PM.

3. Hey, Destroy All Monsters! That site is a blast from the past.

Everything I've heard tells me Hyper Duel is the Psychic Assassin Taromaru of shooters: nice graphics, poor gameplay, enormously inflated price.
    The spirit of liberty is the spirit which is not too sure it is always right. -Learned Hand

"Jesus christ you are still THE WORST." -FirstBlood

4. It's a decent title, nice style, the typically good Tecnosoft metal soundtrack. The whole mech shifting thing isn't that useful and it doesn't seem the complete package that the Thunder Force games are. *-neo

5. It's fairly good, though the gameplay is probably a tad below Thunder Force IV (to be fair, TFIV is probably TecnoSoft's best game bar none.).

The regular ship seems to be more useful than the mech a lot of the time, except for cases where you need to aim at the enemy from diagonally above or below.

Saturn mode adds a Gun Lock button for the mech, and redone graphics.