Thread: Anti-Virus Software

Anti-Virus Software

I'm at college right now on my laptop, and in order to get my own static IP address on the wireless network, I'm required to have up-to-date virus protection on my computer. I tried to pass by with AVG, but that didn't fly so well. Either way, it looks like I need to go purchase something suitable. Which program do you guys use/prefer? Thanks.
    Quote Originally Posted by dakidski View Post
    prolapsed rectum 4 lyfe.

2. nod32 if you're looking into buying

just make sure you stay the hell away from norton-branded software, all that'll do is offer mediocre virus protection while using 300 megs of system memory to stay resident

vvv he said he already had avg but the res wouldn't give him a static ip with it
    Last edited by cka; 29 Aug 2006 at 11:50 PM.

3. Quote Originally Posted by cka View Post
    nod32 if you're looking into buying

just make sure you stay the hell away from norton-branded software, all that'll do is offer mediocre virus protection while using 300 megs of system memory to stay resident
    QFT. It spends more time making sure its constantly running and notifing you of that fact all the while its swiss cheese like in its protection.

Get AVG Free, its free, and it works without launching 250 aps in your system tray.
    “The very existence of flame-throwers proves that some time, somewhere, someone said to themselves, you know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done.” -George Carlin

4. Kaspersky, it is by far the best Anti Virus program I've ever used. Been using it now for around 6 - 7 years and I've never gotten a virus.
    Where I play
    Quote Originally Posted by Dolemite
    I've changed my mind about Korian. Anyone that can piss off so many people so easily is awesome. You people are suckers, playing right into his evil yellow hands.

5. Anyone have some advice on removing Norton AV from one's system?

I got AVG last year and no longer have a need for Norton, yet Norton is perniciously difficult to remove from my hard drive.
    The spirit of liberty is the spirit which is not too sure it is always right. -Learned Hand

"Jesus christ you are still THE WORST." -FirstBlood

6. I recommend Kaspersky as well.

Quote Originally Posted by sleeveboy View Post
    Anyone have some advice on removing Norton AV from one's system?

I got AVG last year and no longer have a need for Norton, yet Norton is perniciously difficult to remove from my hard drive.
    You could try removing it in safe mode?

7. Third recommendation for Kaspersky.

Thanks for the reccomendations guys. I'm using NOD32 right now, but I might switch to Kaspersky after my trial expires depending on how much it costs. I haven't had a virus in years though, I just need the software so I won't "give the [internet] network a virus" or something.
    Quote Originally Posted by dakidski View Post
    prolapsed rectum 4 lyfe.

Removing Norton is annoying. For the most part, you much open it up and tell it to disable itself, then shut it down. Then, ctrl+alt+del and close the remaining Norton processes that are still open, THEN uninstall the program. Reboot system, then look for norton remnants to get rid of (like LiveUpdate still being on the system even though you've removed all other Norton software.)
    Quote Originally Posted by EvilMog View Post
    Screw being smart. This is TNL.

10. NOD and Avast get my votes. it would be nice to have programs that could find virii before theyre widespread.

heres an inteesting read. http://redtape.msnbc.com/2006/08/consumer_report.html