Page 1 of 17 123515 ... LastLast

Thread: EGM: 1989 ~ 2009 (Also 1up)

1. EGM: 1989 ~ 2009 (Also 1up)

Well folks, that's it - EGM is done. 1up has been sold to Hearst publishing and will live on, but EGM the magazine is now done. EGM was one of the magazines that made me want to work for video game magazines, and I still remember getting the 200+ page CES issues and being in awe of what I saw inside of them. Getting a new issue of EGM in the mail was always exciting, and though they had some tough times, I honestly thought their recent issues were pretty damn good when it came to the diversity of coverage they were trying to do.

Twenty years of EGM, and now its gone.

Edit: Oh, and of course, sad news for all of the staffers who have now lost their jobs. Obviously, as somebody in a very similar job position, my heart goes out to them.
    Last edited by mollipen; 06 Jan 2009 at 07:36 PM.
    WARNING: This post may contain violent and disturbing images.

2. DING DONG THE WITCH IS DEAD

WHICH OLD WITCH

THE EGM WITCH

3. 1up will still exist, but it's being gutted. The 1up Show is done.
    Last edited by epmode; 06 Jan 2009 at 07:41 PM.

4. Aww this is gay!! I liked EGM and have been subscribing to them for like 15 years! Fuck the haters! I'll miss them a lot!

Should have been Gamepro that died.
    Korly-"Everyone here is an asshole, SURPRISE!"

5. And the internet kills another business...

Not that I mind the internet. I wonder though, if it will be (economically) more beneficial to have an internet based economy or not.

6. How does UGO buy out fucking 1up? UGO has been a third-teir site for ages, thanks to their too-cool-for-gaming attitude. Their genre list includes a genre "stuff your girlfriend plays" which is where articles about Mario games go. They're every faggot with a backwards baseball hat that walks into a Gamestop and rolls their eyes if you mention anything that isn't Madden or Halo.

Also, this sucks for me on a personal level because more out work game journalists=no hope of me getting a full-time position any time remotely soon. Fuck me.
    Last edited by Frogacuda; 06 Jan 2009 at 08:08 PM.

7. Well that sucks. Glad I didn't renew my sub tho last month.

8. Wait, so Gamepro is still around?

There is no justice.

9. Seriously of all the game mags this is one of the ones that had shit right with 1up.com and everything else :/

10. Bye, EGM. You were (almost) always a favorite.

Sucks about 1up too, I was really liking that site. I switched over to them for my nightly gaming news after IGN's redesign a few months back and didn't regret it for a second.

James