Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: Science Fiction Recommendations

1. THE RING WORLD IS UNSTABLE!
    I like charles sheffield for having tons of science in his scifi. like "the cyborg from earth"
    I love christopher stasheff so much. I own lots of his books. He's very entertaining. I love his warlock series. Its a great blend of fantasy and scifi where the warlock is not infact a warlock, but a guy with higher technology. I love Dietz "Legion of the Damned" where its a foriegn legion with cyborg corps and its just beautiful military scifi. Great characters.
    I've been reading alot of William Gibson "Mona Lisa Overdrive" "Neromancer" lately and that guy who wrote Snow Crash. Cyber punk is an interesting genre.
    I really enjoy Julian May. She/he wrote this large interlocking universe with 3 series. I especially loved Jack the Bodiless and Diamond Mask and The Adversary.
    I love the Simon R. Green series of "The Life and Times of Owen Deathstalker" a good space opera. Bit over the top at times, but the drama! The villians are evil, the heroes colorful, the war scenes bloody and gore filled. It made me happy. The last book in that series is flipping awesome though where it wraps everything together in a nice package and it has a lovely bow on it.
    I'll give you more later.
    [Insert large, loud, flashing signature here]

2. Quote Originally Posted by Prince Planet View Post
    Gene Wolfe's Book of the New Sun tetrology. Not the easiest read (nor are most of his books), but worth it if you don't mind putting in a little effort. Certainly a contender for the finest literature the so-called SF community has produced.
    Prince and I have reccommend these books in EVERY book reccomendation thread that has popped up on TNL. Just once I'd love for someone to take the advice and check them out.

This guy is truly a master, and the only competition that Herbert has for best Sci-Fi author ever.

JM

3. Quote Originally Posted by enigmajelly View Post
    Audrey Neffenegger has a book called "The Time Traveller's Wife" not traditional scifi, very very well written and probably the most well thought out and complicated time travel plot of all time. It is, at its core, a love story, so if you're looking for crazy space battles and stuff then skip it. But if you're looking for wild originality and excellent writing, jump in.
    I went out and ordered this book from amazon based on your recommendation, and I'm glad I did. I really enjoyed this book. It was very twisty and convoluted but I didn't have trouble following it. I personally don't adhere to the "One unchangable time line" theory of time travel, but the book has a very warm and touching story at its core that left me wanting to know what happens to the characters after the story ends.

I hear they are making a movie out of this, they'll probably fuck it up, but I'll see it day one.

And speaking of books supposed to be made into movies, I also read "Master of Space and Time" by Ruddy Rucker. Based on the title alone you would think that this would be an awesome book. But it doesn't really live up to its premise. The book is about two guys who invent a machine that temporarily gives you god like powers and allows you to control time and space. Personally I was hoping for something darker with deep philosophical implications. Instead the book is more of a light hearted farce.

Michel Gondry is set to make the movie, I'll go see it because I really like him as a director, and some of the scenes in the book will be cool to see in a movie, but other than that I'm not really that exicited for it.
    Last edited by Regus; 15 Dec 2006 at 10:43 PM.

4. Quote Originally Posted by haohmaru View Post
    The Chronicles of Thomas Covenant the Unbeliever. http://www.stephenrdonaldson.com/
    Among the best Sci-Fi series ever written and not widely known.
    It was well known at the time (late 70s and through the mid-80s), but I agree it no longer has the name recognition. Also, it's more fantasy than sci-fi, imo, but I agree it remains one of the all-time classics. I mentioned in another thread that Donaldson began a new trilogy -- the Second Chronicles of Thomas Covenant -- back in 2005 (2004?), beginning with Runes of Earth. Not as great at the originals, imo. Then again, I thought Donaldson's Gap Conflict (a five volume sci-fi series from the early-mid 90s) was very good.

And everyone, please stop reading shite and pick up anything by Gene Wolfe, preferably his Book of the New Sun tetrology as Latro and I have been saying for years. Another good starting point is Free Live Free/Soldier of the Mist.
    "Fiends! Animals! Bastards!"

5. I will pick up Gene Wolfe next time I go to a book store. You guys better be right

6. Quote Originally Posted by kingoffighters View Post
    I will pick up Gene Wolfe next time I go to a book store. You guys better be right
    I managed to get the whole "sun" series off ebay in hardcover for something like $10 a few years ago...
    Boo, Hiss.

7. well, I 've read through the Shadow of the Torturer.
    I hate first person narrative, I hate authors who use obscure words to make themsleves seem more "literary", and I hate books that end with a non ending.
    Yet I am totally loving this book.

8. Quote Originally Posted by icarusfall View Post
    I managed to get the whole "sun" series off ebay in hardcover for something like $10 a few years ago...

Thanks for the tip, I will look into ebay.

9. Quote Originally Posted by JesusC View Post
    well, I 've read through the Shadow of the Torturer.
    I hate first person narrative, I hate authors who use obscure words to make themsleves seem more "literary", and I hate books that end with a non ending.
    Yet I am totally loving this book.
    I have the first 3 of these I really need to start reading them.