Page 1 of 6 1235 ... LastLast

Thread: Wave Race 64 - Still the best water based racer?

Wave Race 64 - Still the best water based racer?

Since the topic of older 3d games aging came up in the PS3 poll, it made me think that there are quite a few 32/64-bit console and DOS 3d games that do stand the test of time nicely if not so much for their graphics but their gameplay and style.

Nintendo's Wave Race 64 turns 10 years old this month. To me this is still one of the best racing games ever made. Is there a better water based racer? I only played Blue Storm briefly and it didn't seem to have the same charm.

2. IMO Blue Storm isn't anywhere near as good as the original. The 64 version just feels better (control wise).

The only game that comes close is Splashdown.

On/Off topic: I wish Sony would put out a new Jet Moto game for the PS3.

3. I would say so. I thought Blue Storm was very good as well, but didn't capture the original's charm. My memory of Wave Race 64 is similar to that of Mario 64, in that it was such a new and fun experience, simply learning how to control something in a 3D environment, and experimenting and trying whatever my imagination could think up.

Yes, I am a homosexual.
    Buy Yakuza and Oblivion. Help yourself, help TNL.

What was the budget wave racer on PS2 and Xbox? Splashdown? Was that any good?

5. I love Waverace 64, I loved it so much that I bought the game before the system and played the heck out of it. I agree with everyone here, Blue Storm just did not feel the same, the control seems to be odd even though the game is practically like a small upgrade. Anyway, I recently booted up Waverace 64 again on an emulator and playing it in highres is even better. Truly one of the best racing games ever made.

6. Quote Originally Posted by Yoshi View Post

Carve. It's from Argonaut Software and it's decent. I have one on ebay right now I'm trying to give away.

For water racing games I'm a Hydro Thunder guy. That was reason enough for a Dreamcast. We need an update that's LIVE enabled.

7. Quote Originally Posted by Yoshi View Post
    Yes. No.
    Buy Yakuza and Oblivion. Help yourself, help TNL.

8. It was the controls that made the difference. 64 nailed it, blue storm just wasn't right. Easily one of the best 64 games ever made.

I played Splashdown and while it was good, Wave Race is better. I can't believe it's been 10 years.

9. Wave race 64 is still probably my fav water racer with Hydro Thunder a distant second. This thread is kinda funny for me cause just yesterday I was thinking about Excitebike 64 and how it's probably still the best representation of that sport.
    PSN = knarlockk
    Steam= kevinb150

10. OMG NeoZeedeater is into water sports!!!!

and yes WaveRace 64 was the best water based game. Splashdown was a good game too, not as good as WR64, but definately worth picking up if you can find it for a decent price.