Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread: $28.99 for 360 Backward Compatibility at Circuit City

1. This is like calling every company that charges more than its competitors unethical. It's just business. If people are buying Circuit City's shit, good for them.

"I can only say that there is not a man living who wishes more sincerely than I do to see a plan adopted for the abolition of slavery." - Tommy Tallarico

2. i want to start a business of clearing space on people memory cards. they'll bite......i just know it.

3. Quote Originally Posted by Chris View Post
    Regardless of what you think they should charge, that part's a fact. Every 360 game in particular probably doesn't compared to other recent games, but the overall cost of creating games has been ever-increasing.I remember hearing stories of the days when those companies existed. My grandfather used to tell me about them in front of the fire, and how they would rise up from a group of hard-working individuals that felt they could make a difference. Travelling across the land would be these bands of good-hearted entrepreneurs, spreading good will as they rode on the backs of the once-mighty blue oxen that thrived in fields of sparkling gold wheat.
    It does suck that it's harder to find good places to shop these days. But the fact is they are out there, and I support them when I can. In the long run, a company that followes ethical business practices provides value for it's customers. Of course, "value" is a subjective thing.

Quote Originally Posted by JefmcC View Post
    It does suck that it's harder to find good places to shop these days. But the fact is they are out there, and I support them when I can. In the long run, a company that followes ethical business practices provides value for it's customers. Of course, "value" is a subjective thing.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dragonmaster Dyne View Post
    is it unethical if they're pandering a service that isn't NECESSARY? people DO have a choice here you know.
    Of course people have a choice, and I think ultimately enough people will choose not to support this CC sales plan. I think it's unethical because the way it's presented makes it sound like it's necessary. IMO, this goes too far in taking advantage of customer ignorance.

4. It's a good thing you're not making the business decisions for Circuit City then.

"I can only say that there is not a man living who wishes more sincerely than I do to see a plan adopted for the abolition of slavery." - Tommy Tallarico

5. Quote Originally Posted by omfgninjas View Post
    This is like calling every company that charges more than its competitors unethical. It's just business. If people are buying Circuit City's shit, good for them.
    I disagree that it's the same thing.

If one company doesn't want to compete on pricing, that's one thing. Actively trying to convince customers to pay for something that is otherwise free, and marketed by Microsoft as free, is shitty business. Of course it's not illegal, but there is nothing illegal about shitty business practices.

Quote Originally Posted by omfgninjas View Post
    This is like calling every company that charges more than its competitors unethical. It's just business. If people are buying Circuit City's shit, good for them.
    Quote Originally Posted by omfgninjas View Post
    It's a good thing you're not making the business decisions for Circuit City then.
    If I was, I would be answering the question of "how can we get repeat customers?"

Instead of, "How can we get a cheap lowball add on sale?"

6. Quote Originally Posted by JefmcC View Post
    If I was, I would be answering the question of "how can we get repeat customers?"
    They haven't asked this question since they started copying Best Buy 10 years ago and started forcing add-ons and performance plans onto every customer that tries to walk out. And I think something like that, where they actively try to convince you to waste money, is a hell of a lot worse than putting up a sign that promotes their new, completely optional service.

7. Quote Originally Posted by Rumpy View Post
    It does cost more to make games now you know. Don't like the price? Simple deciscion not to buy a game. It's not difficult.
    Or I could decide I'd rather mod a 360 and burn games for free.

It costs more to make PS3s but that doesn't stop 99% of the board from constantly bitching about it.

8. Sounds fair. I don't think I'd ever be lazy enough to pay someone to install something for me though.
    Quote Originally Posted by rezo
    Once, a gang of fat girls threatened to beat me up for not cottoning to their advances. As they explained it to me: "guys can usually beat up girls, but we are all fat, and there are a lot of us."

9. Quote Originally Posted by Saint of Killers View Post
    It costs more to make PS3s but that doesn't stop 99% of the board from constantly bitching about it.
    What? We're talking about games. Same discussion will happen when PS3 games show up at 60 too.

10. Quote Originally Posted by omfgninjas View Post
    How so? This is all just supply and demand and the economic value determined by that. If anything, Microsoft is missing out on some serious possible cash.
    Maybe if they charged a nominal fee such as $4 to buy the disc off the shelf, it would not be such a bug. But $30, even if they're providing the service of installing it (which even a total dumbass could do)? LAWL. Microsoft is offering you the drivers for 100% off that price.